1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer / Copy Editor - Fort Collins Coloradoan

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CUinthenewsroom, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Position:
    Sports designer/copy editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    July 10, 2007
    Job ID: 786106

Description:
    Come live and work in America’s most livable city, according to U.S. News & World Report. The Fort Collins Coloradoan, a 29,000 daily and 35,000 Sunday paper, is looking for an energetic sports copy edi-tor/designer to join our award winning team. We’re looking for a self-starter and team player who can provide eye-catching layouts on the sports front and special sections, write compelling headlines and have strong copy-editing skills. Candidates should have two years of experience at a daily newspaper. The Coloradoan’s primary sports coverage areas include Colorado State University, high schools, regional minor-league teams and the Denver pro teams. Fort Collins, a city of 135,000, is home to CSU and an hour north of Denver. We get 300 days of sunshine a year and recreational opportunities abound. Please send resumes and work samples to: Sean Duff Sports editor The Coloradoan 1300 Riverside Ave. Fort Collins, CO 80524 You also can e-mail resumes to SeanDuff@coloradoan.com. For questions, call (970) 224-7750.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Feel free to PM me with questions about the area.

3. Anyone else have any info on the paper? Positives or negatives?

4. Love_Sports

Love_Sports Member

negatives. and plenty of them.

the town is great. the paper, not so much. and it starts and ends with the SE.

5. Jeff_Albertson

Jeff_Albertson New Member

Fun town, with a big college presence.

The SE is a joke, but I know a few folks there, and they are good people. Hardworking. They care about the paper. I also know a few survivors from the paper, and they are happy they got out.

Coverage is heavy on preps, Colorado State and local minor league teams.

Paper is Gannett, and they have converted to the "information center."

Not sure on the pay range, though I imagine low-30s.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

Far better town than product, which thinks and looks too small for a cool college place. Lawrence, to reference another thread, trumps this in a similar circulation level.

7. Great, great town. Fort Collins is a wonderful place, although the traffic has gotten pretty bad for a small town in recent years. It's a place I'd still love to live.

That said, I'd never work for that guy.

Whoever does go after this job, proceed with great caution. You might want to make sure the job responsibilities you are told you are getting are actually the ones you wind up with.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The guy is leaving is pretty damned glad to be out of there, or so I've heard.

9. zoucrew

zoucrew Member

Second and third what's been said here. It's a great, great town, and is an easy drive from Denver.

That said, the paper is disappointing, at best. Decent writing at times, mixed with awful, cramped design. And I really haven't heard anything good about the management there.

Down the road, whenever the SE job opens here, that could be a great gig. There's plenty going on in the area to keep the sports staff busy, and if the right person made the right moves in this section, it could be pretty damn good. But that's just not happening now.

Oh, and in case it hasn't been said yet: This is a kick-ass town.

10. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

Offered this position in '05 when I was at another Gannett shop ... they refused to pay relocation, so I couldn't do it.

Looks like I made the right choice. And it's REALLY nice out there too.

11. CornFlakes

CornFlakes Member

Tremendous town, terrible newspaper.

12. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I know I'll probably be wading into a hornet's nest, but what makes the SE so bad?

(If Moddy or anybody else thinks this was the wrong route to go, feel free to delete my post. I'm just curious.)

Draft saved Draft deleted