1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer/copy editor, Bakersfield Californian

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HoosierLoser, Mar 16, 2008.

1. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

That was uncalled for. But I have been lost in Fresno. It's not hard to do.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it's uncalled for because it's true.

and ... i'm shocked, nay, i'm floored.

3. Anyone have an idea on payscale for this gig?

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

it's union. you probably can find it online.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

You get paid by the color.

6. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

While I can't say what pay will be for obvious reasons, I can tell you that it's a comfortable salary. You'll be able to pay rent for a nice apartment, and still enjoy your time in the city.

Cost of living in Bakersfield is comparable to the Midwest. Gas is sitting at $3.37 a gallon for regular and you can find plenty of drink specials at the local watering holes. Happy Hours are great for half-price drinks and appetizers.

I'll try to answer any questions about the city and job. But remember, I'm still a newbie myself. Moved here in December 2006.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I heard the best restaurant in town is at the airport.
    Anybody confirm that???

8. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

The only restaurant I can think of at the airport is Blimpie's. So, if that's your thing... (Then again, it's been a while since I've been there)
    Other than that, I think most go for one of the several Basque places in town.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Nothing personal, but that's a load of crap. At least the first clause of that sentence. The second may very well be true, and that's cool. I'm in no position to judge, because I don't know the numbers. I do know that Bakersfield is a cheap place to live, comparatively to other parts of SoCal.

But I'm sick of the idea that professional applicants for a professional job are being kept in the dark for even a range -- an accurate range, I might add -- of what the salary expectations are. It's bullshit like this that keeps too many people from earning a decent living in this business.

Hoosier, I don't want you getting in trouble with your superiors so I'm not going to ask you to offer a range here. It's not on you. That said, each of us (no matter our job title) should hold a little responsibility for playing it straight with our peers in this business, because management sure as hell won't do it for us. I posted a job opening at our place earlier this year, and offered an accurate expectation (however low ::) of what applicants could expect. I see no reason why others can't do the same. It benefits us all.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

The top of the listed scale, after three years, is $16/hour. That, again, is striking in its lowered-expectations threshold for a medium-size paper in a California setting. Newspapers withering? Perhaps. But what seems to be more at risk is a middle-class life in whatever newspapers survive.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

reminder: much like will hunting, it ain't hoosiers' fault.

and, at least he didn't attempt to pull the "it's like going to grad school" bullshit the cat from baseball america laid on us.

i'm guessing this will attract some pretty good deskers.

12. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

I will say it's more than $16 an hour. Tom Petty's right, I'm in no position to give a salary range at this time.

As for restaurants. There's only a Blimpie at the airport, so SoCaldude should make a trek past The Grapevine. There are plenty of chains in Bako. Famous Dave's just opened. PF Chang's, Elephant Bar, plus the usual suspects of Chili's, Red Lobster, Applebee's, Macaroni Grill. There's also Buck Owen's Crystal Palace, along with some local Basque restaurants, great delis and a few steakhouses. Really the only thing missing is a White Castle and a Dairy Queen.

Draft saved Draft deleted