1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer/copy editor, Bakersfield Californian

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HoosierLoser, Mar 16, 2008.

1. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

This is just a heads up. We've been given clearance to hire a sports designer/copy editor. I'll post complete details/job description Monday or Tuesday.

Looking for candidate with strong design background. QuarkXPress and Photoshop skills a must. WARNING: This is NOT just a design job, there will be copy editing involved. So take a look over your AP stylebook.

That's all I've got for now. Start putting together your portfolio, and look for job posting on here or journalismjobs.com in near future.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hoosier - saying "so take a look over your AP stylebook" was witty. you really didn't think you'd sneak that one by us, did you?

and since i was the first to get your embedded joke, does that mean i'm hired?

3. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

FYI -

Still waiting for final authorization to post job. Sorry for delay. Crossing fingers we can post Wednesday but I'm not promising anything. We do have authorization to open position, so we will in fact have an opening.

Just keeping everyone informed.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

nothin'? hoosier, i'm disappointed.

5. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

The Bakersfield Californian seeks a page designer to help achieve our goal of turning our cutting edge design into an award-winning section. Candidates must have strong visual design skills, including page layout, graphics and photo selection. Candidates also must have sharp copy-editing skills and a flair for writing accurate, compelling headlines. Applicants should be able to design pages quickly and efficiently using QuarkXPress. Familiarity with Photoshop would be a plus.

We cover the ECHL Condors, D-League Jam and Cal League Blaze, Division I Cal State Bakersfield, Bakersfield College (JC) and 30 high schools. Area rich in current pro athletes, including David Carr, Joey Porter, Kevin Harvick and Casey Mears. Bakersfield also hosts the nation's largest single-class state prep wrestling tournament in March, along with many local auto and drag racing events.

We're looking for a TEAM PLAYER who is open to guidance, helping on phones and willing, if needed, to help design other sections at times.

The Californian is family-owned, and offers excellent benefits: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K and more.

Interest applicants should submit five PDF work samples, cover letter and resume to:

Ross Priest
    Assistant Sports Editor
    rpriest@bakersfield.com

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

as promised. ross is boss.

7. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

as promised. ross is boss.
    [/quote]

Let's not go that far. I'm just following orders.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Let's not go that far. I'm just following orders.
    [/quote]

aw, hell. but you gotta love my constant bumping of this job back to the top of the list.

9. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

I'll throw this out there, for what it's worth (I know Bakersfield jobs have been discussed ad nauseum here before).
    Town itself is so-so at best, but you can easily do a weekend in vegas, bay area, LA, San Diego or some pretty nice, relatively uncrowded beaches in the San Luis Obispo area.
    Heck, even Fresno!

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

there's nothing like fresno in the springtime.

11. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Oh, and can I also add that's it's maybe 15 minutes from Tahoe?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i've watched you drive. you better give it 25.

Draft saved Draft deleted