1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer, Anniston, Al

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jul 24, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

The Anniston Star, an award-winning 27,000-circulation home-owned newspaper in Anniston, Ala., is accepting applications for a sports page designer. We're looking for someone who knows visual journalism is more than a picture with a block of copy. What we're offering you is the opportunity to be an artist. While we may not be a large paper, you'll have wide-open pages and the extra space papers our size don't have. It is preferred that candidates have at least two years of design experience, although college graduates may also apply. The Star is designed with InDesign, and candidates should be fluent in its use. Please e-mail applications to Sports Editor Bran Strickland at bstrickland@annistonstar.com or mail to: Bran Stickland, 4305 McClellan Blvd., Anniston, AL 36202

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Given that the sports editor's last name is spelled two different ways, I can see this is a design-driven paper.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Anniston's not in the best place, but I always thought the paper was pretty good.

The town's not what it used to be since McClellan was closed several years ago.

4. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

The paper is damn good. They win all sorts of awards, and the folks at Editor and Publisher said they were one of the places that was doing things right. A buddy of mine, who has been known to post on this site, has been there for a while now.

5. boots

boots New Member

You could do worse than get a gig in Anniston.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Anniston has beatwriters for Auburn, Alabama, Jax State and a prep editor.
    The college writers go to every game, home and road, except maybe one far-off one here and there.
    Writers occasionally are sent to Braves games.
    Lots of papers have less talent on hand and do less with what they have.

7. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

I'm putting in for a newsroom job at my current paper, otherwise, I'd give a few toes to work in Anniston.

8. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Bran is a solid guy. Their design, at least when I have seen it, is a smidge outdated. Everything else on this thread jibes with what I know.

rb

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

pay probably not so good, but bran's a good guy and probably pretty easy to work for.

10. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

How quick are they going to move?

Draft saved Draft deleted