1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Design/writing job in eastern N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Stupid, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Stupid

Stupid Member

We've gotten quite a few responses but, unfortunately, a good number of those give no indication of previous design experience or current desire to design and lay out pages. The candidate who gets the job will have to lay out 1-4 pages each day, as will everyone in the department.

As far as Wilson goes, it's not the end of the world. I grew up here, spent 18 years away, many of those living in the Bay Area. If you're looking for true excitement then probably nowhere in North Carolina is for you.

However, Wilson is 2 hours from the beach, 30 min. from Greenville, 45 min. from Raleigh, 70 min. from Chapel Hill, 4 hours from Washington DC, 4 hours from Charlotte. It's a quick getaway when you're not working and, of course, when you are, you're out doing something. Frankly, if I didn't go out every night and cover an event, I'd probably go crazy here.

This is a great job for someone looking to move up the ladder. There's a chance to cover ACC teams in football and basketball, a Double-A baseball team (Carolina Mudcats) and the Carolina Hurricanes. You'll get experience designing and laying out pages as well as writing stories and taking pictures (yes, we take our own photographs) and all of that could help down the road.

Draft saved Draft deleted