1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Design thread

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by carrie, Oct 3, 2005.

1. greedo

greedo Guest

Re: Design thread *updated 10/4*

The fold is just a figurative demarcation line.

Separates priority from non-priority.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Doesn't even do that.

A story lower right is going to be noticed before a story upper left.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I swear I'm the exception to those rules.

I notice the stuff along the top, then the centerpiece, then go left to right, top to bottom, like I read. I don't go clockwise.

4. greedo

greedo Guest

My sight doesn't work that way either, IJAG.

shotglass, I am not contesting the theory, but where is this from?

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

There actually have been tons of studies. It's a proven thing. I just don't fit in that way.

It's something like the average reader sees (shottie, correct me if I'm wrong) headlines, then pictures, then cutlines, then finally copy. And it's all done clockwise.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes. And I can't quote where I've seen them. It's just been knocked into me since college and beyond.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh yeah...and apparently a picture of a baby polar bear would draw the most attention. I can't remember why...but it would.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Give me a front page with a baby, a beautiful girl or a baby polar bear, and I'll give you a front page that sells. -- William Randolph Hearst.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Then again, he said that the big headline makes it the big news.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

HE WAS RIGHT.

11. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

I'm new here, so I apologize for being opinionated right off the bat. Anyway, I think people automatically scream that they hate shaded boxes because they were taught by some d-bag managing editor to hate them. See, the ME went to a convention where a speaker from some Insitute or Thinktank or Prestigious University told them screens were passe (sp?).
    Sometimes screens can look great. What you want to avoid is that blue screen, 1970s spot color look that is just plain cheesy. The screen in this thread looks fine and dandy to me.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Welcome, Dessens.

I would agree. Screens, used well, are very, very valid design tools.

The differentation people need to make, and many new designers don't, is the difference between real, earthy colors and "comic-book" colors. When I first started designing, I remember doing a six-column story box with plain 100% yellow and plain 100% cyan. Needless to say, it was awful.

But you do a colored grey (like 8-8-8-0, not 8 percent black), or a light tan or sepia, screens work.

Best thing a design guru can do, and what ours did when we redesigned, was to create a color palette for the newspaper. A LIMITED color palette. We have just four colors that are acceptable for screens, about 18 colors overall. We make exceptions if we want to nail school colors in a graphic or something like that, but that's the only time.

Draft saved Draft deleted