1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Design thread

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by carrie, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Re: Design thread *updated 10/4*

It's already a useful, informative thread.

The thing I've picked out of it already is, while there are rules to design, many decisions are based on personal preference.

2. carrie

carrie Active Member

I think the centerpiece could have been better and carried a little more weight, thus making the NASCAR package at the bottom not stick out as much.

My $.02:
    The McKeon photo is just a'ight. Nothing really special to it. It almost seems as if they got stuck with that photo and they had to come in on the space alloted for it, which is why the by the numbers are there. The numbers just look like too much of a space filler for me.

I think those summaries/head decks/precedes are FAR too long.

I'm not sure if I like having the index stripped across the very bottom of the page.

I also agree with what was said about the subheds, and I'll go a step further and throw this out - why are those promo items bold/black? I'm sure it's a style thing, but ...

agate_monkey: Decisions are often based on personal preferences, a discerning eye and how both fit into your paper's design/style philosophy. If you have one. :)

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Index over poll, please.

In fact, with the index laid out like that it could also be stripped across the bottom of the skybox.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

got i hate those paragraph lead-ins... and this isn't a design thing, it's like telling the reader that's all that's important -- i hate giving people more of a reason to NOT read stories

and when you have just about as much of that as you have body on a story before it jumps, just looks bad to me. but hey, what do i know, i'm a writer

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Hoops, your view is all the more valuable, because designers are supposed to design to attract those who know nothing about design

6. carrie

carrie Active Member

Hoops, I think they CAN serve a purpose. But not when they're longer than the lede graf of a story like those are.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That is the honest truth.

My SE likes to say, "Design is like fashion. What you think is good, somebody else is going to think is crap."

And everybody needs to remember that. To be honest, I've been impressed that nobody on this thread has jumped on something like, "What do you mean, you prefer five bites over six columns?? You, sir, are a DOLT!"

I mean, that's what we do on political and music threads. ;D

Let's not do it here. Just remember that everyone has a definite idea of what THEY like.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh, shut up, you big DOLT! :D

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, you'd probably work on a 13-column grid. HAH!

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I don't design. HAH!

11. carrie

carrie Active Member

Newspapers across the country thank you. ;)

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

[​IMG]

Plenty of counter space for ya there, Carrie.

And I'm sorry for threadjacking. This thread deserves to remain pure.

Draft saved Draft deleted