1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Design thread

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by carrie, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

[​IMG]

2. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

3. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

any critiques at all please? i'd like to get any and all judgment possible... i work at a 5,500 weekly... with only on two sports parttime writers...

actually this last wednesday will be my last pages to design there, heartland's laying me off... so i would like some critiques!

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Getting much better, but your columns, especially at the bottom are too wide. Why go three columns there?

Also, I love breakouts, but try to avoid using clip art. It's very tacky, IMO.

And, if you're going to do a score breakout in the cp, you don't need to repeat the score in the subhead.\

Good luck.

5. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

Thanks a lot, and I'll try and work on that, granted my time now at my job is limited, unfortunately...

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Haven't posted a page in a while, so I'm looking for some feedback on my Page 1 from tonight. Any thoughts, comments, criticisms?

[​IMG]

7. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

My $.02 -- Your headlines all look to be about the same size. I always try to make them get smaller farther down the page. Also, the bottom third is a bit gray. Don't know if there's anything you can do about that, but it's something to think about. The centerpiece looks good though. Maybe a pull quote or some kind of graphic between the two stories there, to help break up the gray.

8. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

can we see some more of the users' pages posted? that would be great!

9. Rusty Shackleford

Can I post a page I've got saved on my computer in pdf or jpeg here? I can't figure out how.

10. Rusty Shackleford

I can't figure out how to make this any bigger. Still, any critiques appreciated.

[​IMG]

11. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

They're not showing up... You have to upload them to a site, then post them here....

12. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I like the use of putting the cutout over the flag to stand out a little bit.. I think the column on the left is too wide, but I don't what your paper's policy is.

I also like the drop cap on the column in the feature part.

Draft saved Draft deleted