1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Design thread .... v.2

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by carrie, Apr 22, 2007.

1. devils_claw

devils_claw Member

Overall, I really like the page, especially the bastard measure for the right-hand rail.

But I have to agree with write...the prom package seems to have too much stuff crammed into it--lots of art, lots of headline, the schedule, the photo gallery information. It's too much for me. I would have preferred to see something inside--maybe the schedule and/or a piece of art.

And, for what it's worth, I don't work in sports, so I like seeing pages from other sections.

2. Hey Bob, the person who started this thread encouraged all pages, sports, news whatever. If you don't like it, you know what not to do ....

3. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

word. If you don't like the content, imagine the stories being sports-related -- your local kid centerpiece, AP national lede, nascar preview, secondary local feature.

4. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

thanks, and yeah, i could have prob. gotten away with dumping a photo of the prom package... but it just seemed to 'work' with what i had that day.. i was encouraged to get as much of that stuff on there as i could...

and to the other poster talking about the putnam hed was kerned -7, and its default -5, and we can all the way to -9... i think it's a lot 'freer' in the pdf and print version than it is in the condensed...

if it's a problem me posting my news pages, i won't, but i used to work as a designer on the sports side at another gig, so i just continued to post here to get more help...

5. Post 'em, Doc. It's not like a lot of other people are posting anyway ... the more the merrier.

6. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

[​IMG]

I've been at this current gig since mid-March, started doing Local front, and the prevous two weeks I've done wire and NewsDigest, so i'm still learning.. really only been designing for a year "on my own"

7. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

[​IMG]

I know the bottom right photo doesn't have as much copy under it as the other two, but i was on deadline, and the ME took a bunch of it out and told me to send it... sooo oh well... i like the use of white space... and the column has to run all the way down the right with no breakups in text so it creates some gray...

8. Doc, I was looking at some of your other pages on the first design thread. I'd say the biggest thing you should work on are multi-photo packages. It's challenging, takes some experimenting and that's why it was always my favorite part of designing.

The package on the basketball spinning page isn't too crowded but in some of the others I'd concentrate on running fewer photos in your package, especially if two or more are going to run the same size. That will give you more room to perhaps run a title, pull out a quote, etc.

And personally, I always like to run a b&w photo on the inside with the jump.

I think you're doing a good job.

9. Re: Hair package.

You really don't have the quality photos here to carry a four-photo package but it looks as though you may not have had enough stories to not run a large package.

I don't really like running three photos the same size at the bottom. You're not telling the reader what to look at. I don't really like the long captions, either. If you really have that much extra info, run some kind of lister box.

10. Hustle

Hustle Guest

I tried...no love for my slots graphic? Or perhaps no care - which would be even worse.

11. I didn't comment on it because it's hard to tell in this format what's going on. It might have been easier if you sent us over a finished product or just the graphic, not the whole page. The type and pictures are really small. It looks like a neat graphic on the surface but it's hard to examine the details.

12. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

alright, thanks for the advice... and yeah, def. packages with a lot of pictures are my weakness.... and one thing i def. need to work on....

Draft saved Draft deleted