1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Design thread .... v.2

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by carrie, Apr 22, 2007.

1. That may be true. Maybe the readers can follow the story if it jumps over a photo and long cutline like that. But the bottom line remains this: it looks fucking gross.

2. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Breaking the legs of a story can look gross, yes. It's up to the designer to keep that from happening. It can be done and still look good. Just not every time.

Never be afraid to try something. If it doesn't work, it's a lesson learned. I like the fact that the Doctor tried it. And hopefully, he learned something from it, good or bad. Judging from what I've seen and what I've designed myself, however, it usually works best on the centerpiece.

EDIT: After looking at the page again, I think I would run the storm story as a bigger centerpiece, all the way down to the weather map. Maybe throw in another picture or two -- pictures of storms are always popular. I would have put the old lady story inside or on the rail. It seems to get lost where it is.

3. My two cents: I was taught by one of the best (it's one of the few things I remember) not to ever break the line of text because it forces the reader to search for the next line. I agree with the good doctor here that it could have easily been avoided.

That said: good, clean news pages. I like.

4. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

I think the never breaking the line of text is an old-school rule. Readers today -- the few, the proud -- are smart enough to figure it out, especially since the next leg of text is about two inches away.

I do agree it could (and should have) been avoided in this case. Live and learn.

5. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

well, that is an inside page... and the whole "point" of that page is to cram as much stories as possible... they least is 8, but they prefer 10-11.. and that page has 9, i believe... it's like office space and dealing with damn flare at choci's (sp?)

6. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

7. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

thanks for the tips though... appreciate them...

8. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Member

[​IMG]

posted this page in the other thread.. no comments.. anything i should have or shouldn't have done on this page?

9. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

After just a quick glance, good work. I thought the cutline on the Mattea story was a little long. Other than that, very clean page. Good use of info boxes.

10. Lot of white space above the prom package. Why don't the prom cutlines run even with the photos? The package is very busy. You might have wanted to put one of the boxes and/or a photo inside to give it some room to breathe. I also agree on the Mattea cutline.

Thanks for posting your work.

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I don't like the four-deck sumhead on the bottom story ... maybe go to decks over two columns, or use two over three and go two decks?

I usually don't like four-deck hed, either -- but it works here.

12. You kerned the shit out of that Putnam cutline. I would have made the headline smaller before I squeezed it that much.

You seem nice and I don't want to seem like an asshole here ... but I come on this thread to see what other people are doing with the design of their sports pages. I like to give feedback of what I think is good or bad, but I also like to pick up ideas of what I think works or doesn't work.

No offense, but I don't come here to get a glimpse of life as the Metro copy editor. There are other forums you can visit to get feedback on your "Local" section design. SportsJournalists.com probably isn't the place.

Draft saved Draft deleted