1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Design thread .... v.2

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by carrie, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Thanks for the advice, cb. Like I said, the rail is a new thing at our shop, so it'll probably take a week or two to iron out the kinks. But the A section has provisions for both a vertical and horizontal rail; sometimes it's nice when they use the horizontal one to break up the monotony.

Regarding the Gordon photo, I agree in principle, but I always was taught not to have photos facing off a page. Should I ignore that rule?

2. carrie

carrie Active Member

That rule is as old school as "no bumping heds".

3. That's a pretty good rule, one that someone would have pointed out had you left him facing off the page ...

Did you need the Gordon photo? I liked Bonds and taking Gordon away would have allowed you to do more with the Braves ...

Sorry if this advice is unsolicited but I was a designer in another life ...

4. carrie

carrie Active Member

Embrace the rail. I know I do. Become one with the rail and find a way to fill it with more entry points of information instead of pictures and knockouts. And once you get used to presenting the information there on a daily basis, you'll think of all sorts of cool ways to present the information.

Hold to the rail stories or brites
    Top 5s/Bottom 5s
    From the Blogs
    Online exclusives

Shit like that.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Now I'm getting conflicting advice. ARRRRGHHHH!!!! :D

6. carrie

carrie Active Member

In another life, someone would have pointed that out.

In this current life, people care more about being able to cram a full budget into 1/2 the original space.

Plus, the only time I ever heard that rule was high-school yearbook. :D

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

8. Take Carrie's ... my interest is more of a hobby now ...

9. Happy little stories.

10. carrie

carrie Active Member

Brites = funny stories, trend stories, etc.

Like if tomorrow A-Rod were to take a dump in the exact form of the Queen Mother, you could run the pertinent inch on the cover and people would actually read it.

Or if, say, someone in the DFW area went to Ghostbar and saw Tony Romo and Carrie Underwood making out last night ... that would be the spot for that item.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

So a self-contained little blurb that doesn't appear inside?

12. carrie

carrie Active Member

Absolutely. A charticle.

A brite can run anywhere - but it's usually under 3 inches.

Draft saved Draft deleted