1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Design books?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KnuteRockne, Apr 6, 2007.

1. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Anyone know some good ones?

And I don't mean books like the SND award winner collections.

I'm talking books that are designed as tutorials on the basics and beyond. Textbooks, I guess.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

"The Newspaper Designer's Handbook" by Tim Harrower is a good place to start.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Beat me to it. It is the ultimate, Knute.

4. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Does it talk about things like how to split headlines into two decks (i.e. separate thought on each line)? I just want some points of reference for that so that I can have an authority to reference for the other people in my department other than, "That's what I was told in college or high school or my previous paper. Somewhere along the line, I swear."

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Harrower's book was a college textbook of mine. Simply outstanding. I haven't worked as a designer in almost 10 years and probably never will again, but that book will always stay on my shelf.

6. devils_claw

devils_claw Member

One more voice to add to the praise for Harrower.

I'm not too long out of j-school, and that is one of the only textbooks I kept. It's easy to understand, has great visuals, and can be really entertaining.

7. Pi

Pi Member

Don't bother with any of Mario Garcia's books unless you like self-indulgent crap.

8. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I always wanted to pick up Harrower's book but it ain't cheap, if I recally correctly.

9. Harrower is the Bible ... gotta be in the 5th or 6th printing by now ... you could probably get 3 or 4 for cheap, though I don't remember it being too expensive for a new copy.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

For someone completely brand new to the world of layout, fonts, etc. I recommend books by Robin Williams (a female). Her stuff isn't really directed at professionals, but it's a good starting point.

http://www.amazon.com/Non-Designers-Design-Book-Second/dp/0321193857/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-3640422-2002223?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176007868&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Non-Designers-Type-Book-2nd/dp/0321303369/ref=sr_1_14/103-3640422-2002223?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1176007868&sr=1-14

11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Thanks, Robin. You got any extra copies laying around?

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

That joke is really getting old. Can't someone pimp a useful book/good article/strong writer without being accused of self-promotion?

Draft saved Draft deleted