1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Design books, websites etc..

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by In Cold Blood, Jul 13, 2007.

1. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Hello all,
    I just started a job about six weeks ago, one that requires a lot more design work than I'm accustomed to doing.

I'll be the first to admit that my design skills are my weakness, but I want to embrace the challenge and do everything that I can to become a first-rate designer.

My question: Are there any helpful books, websites etc. where I can learn more about design? I spend a lot of time on newspagedesigner.com and on this board, but would love to expand my knowledge as much as possible.

suggestions?

2. Harrower books are the designing Bible ...

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

visualeditors.com

newseum.org

4. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Thanks for the quick responses...

I'll bookmark those sites immediately, and am googling harrower as we speak.

5. brian griffin

brian griffin Member

Search Newspagedesigner and find a few designers at big papers (I say the big paper guys because they usually have been in the business longer and have more experience) and e-mail them. Start a relationship. Pick their brain. Ask how they did something or how they came up with an idea. If one doesn't write back, just try another one.

6. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Vince Chiaramonte
    The Buffalo News

One of the best.... Hands down

Also, sportsdesigner.com has good stuff almost everyday

Will join the bandwagon on the Harrowers', it is the best.

7. I was going to ask a similar question so I'd also like to thank everybody for the responses.

And Precious Roy, thank you for reminding me of my favorite parts of my freshman year of college.

8. Precious Roy

Just trying to help where ever I can

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Tim Harrower's "Newspaper Designer's Handbook". The new edition is being printed this month; I have it on order at Borders. Can't recommend it enough.

10. Precious Roy

Ohhhh, I know what I want now more than Harry Potter

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Also check out books by Robin P. Williams. Not specific to newspaper design, but it will help you start to think like a designer.

Draft saved Draft deleted