1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Desert Island - 5 Albums

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Apr 23, 2010.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Sheep!

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Ygster, this is a thread about music, not your love life. Please post accordingly.

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

No.

You only recently discovered Loan Me a Dime ;)

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Phrased like this, I'm not sure I disagree much -- although I don't think there's been any evidence of that attitude on this thread.

And if we did a Desert Island top 10, Automatic for the People is probably on mine.

5. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

My desert island REM albums:
    1. Fables of the Reconstruction
    2. Life's Rich Pageant
    3. Reckoning
    4. Accelerate
    5. Automatic for the People

6. D_W, if you want to examine this alleged phenomenon, I think you're picking the wrong battle. LRP just simply happens to be the best REM album, sales or not. Don't forget that the later albums were on a major label and had distribution that LRP could only dream of. LRP only sold less than Out of Time or Automatic or Monster because it was on IRS (and, yes, I know that Document was on IRS, as well, but at that point the buzz was overwhelming). Release LRP in 1992, with all the major label advantages, instead of 1986 and it'd be a different story.

I think you're argument would carry more water if, say, a bunch of Stones fans were picking "Her Satanic Majesty's Request." Although I've seen this criticism aimed at "Exile on Main Street," as well.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Spot on, this. As if the combo of Frank, Quincy Jones and the Count Basie Orchestra weren't enough, this album really makes you feel like you were there. Whether it's Frank bantering between (or during) songs or the great sound where you can swear you can hear glasses tinkling in the crowd, you feel like you are in some smoky Vegas room.

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Love the William Conrad intro. If I did a 5 list Sinatra at The Sands would be on it.

9. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Sun Volt "Trace"
    Counting Crows "August and Everything After"
    Fleetwood Mac "Rumours"
    Guns N Roses "Appetite for Destruction"
    Sister Hazel "Fortress"

An exercise in futility, really.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

What does it say for R.E.M. that it's dominating this discussion? For the record, "Automatic" by a nose over "Time."
    Now I don't feel so weird about three of my five picks not having been mentioned elsewhere on this thread. Might as well have slipped in Lone Justice and Chameleons UK.

11. Cool that you put "Accelerate" on there. Sounds a lot like LRP 20 years later.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

REM's last good album was in 1992.

Draft saved Draft deleted