1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deseret News staffers organize byline strike

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm torn on this issue since I've lived in Utah for several years before my current gig. The D-News has always been the Mormon paper unless someone tells me otherwise.

That doesn't excuse the editor for catering only to Mormon. Of course the editor has no journalism experience before becoming the editor, so that should tell you something.

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_11776501

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Byline strikes do nothing.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Perhaps they should escalate to being to mad they serve a beer of mostly head.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Let's hope they aren't paying people by the number of by-line stories they write.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yeah, Mitt would be the President of all the people.

Suuuuure.

6. They better be careful in their dissent. The way this industry is going, management is liable to Reagan them all and replace them with a new staff. It's not like there's a lack of writers out there desperate for jobs.

7. Mizzougrad96

I'd agree with that.

8. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Having worked briefly in Utah many years ago, nothing would surprise me when it comes to the newspaper business in that state. But I will say this: The reporter who is being promoted to city editor, Tad Walch, is good people.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Or give them near beer. Wait, that's what they already sell in grocery stores.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

An intern participated? That's ballsy.

11. Mizzougrad96

Sounds like a union shop.

12. Tad Walch may be my favorite guy in this business. Definitely on the short, short list. A great guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted