1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deseret News covers up legislator's misdeeds

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700016111/D-News-takes-lumps-in-Garn-story.html

The D-News knew about an incident where a state lawmaker took a nude soak with a 15-year-old girl and the ME spiked the story. The old ME is useless in my opinion as having any authoritative voice in journalism anymore.

2. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

Both Hughes and Hall said on Friday that they do not remember the incident nor the discussion about how to handle it and why. "You think I would because it sounds juicy, but I don't," Hughes said. "Maybe we discussed it out, and I just moved on."

That's right, pal: Duck and run.

3. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Is the legislator a Mormon?

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Yes. He was the girl's Sunday School teacher according to reports.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's fucking Utah.

6. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Unfair statement.

Sorta.

I just think it's interesting that a paper owned by the Mormon church made a lousy editorial judgment that for nearly a decade benefited a Mormon lawmaker.

The D-News is a pretty good paper, and I don't know that there's case study to support the idea that it would ignore news to help the church, but the question lingers.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

One can make the same argument in heavily-Catholic areas about priests diddling little boys, but at the same time I don't know any papers owned by the Catholic Church. Just saying.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Isn't the publisher of the the D-News the former head of the Utah GOP? Or is that the SL Trib? I think most people know what they're getting (and not getting) from the D-News.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Not only did they know about it, but the motherfucker confessed to the editors that he did it. This wasn't an unnamed source bullshit.

You've got to run that story. They said they didn't want the readers thinking about that heading to the voting booth. That's showing a bias. Period.

You report the news as you gather it and you let the readers/voters decide what they should think about heading to the voting booth. It was a bad time to get the news (unless your TMZ) but ignoring it is an awful idea.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The current editor was the head of the Utah GOP

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Seriously?

Draft saved Draft deleted