1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Describe Ryan Adams in one word

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mystery_Meat, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

strategery

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I read too quickly sometimes. I thought Double Down wanted to send me an assfull of Rayn Adams.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

This guy is Ryan Adams.
    http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Ryan+Adams&search_type=&aq=-1&oq=Ryan+Adam

His material has gone downhill since Whiskeytown brokeup

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Pretentious or Self-important would be the one I would pick.
    The guy seems to care more for product and quantity over quality - just release it all - the shit with the good stuff.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

For me, it's the last lines in that song:

Somewhere the night sky hangs like a blanket
    Shoot it with my cap gun just to make it seem like stars.

There is so much about that song that reminds me of growing up in small town America, and the saddness of him dreaming he was going to end up just another solider whistling at the girls in downtown Jacksonville, North Carolina is heartbreaking.

Five favorite Adams lyrics of his besides that one.

1. I ain't never been to Vegas, but I gambled up my life; Building newsprint boats I race to sewer mains; trying to find me something, but I wasn't sure just what; funny how they say that some things never change.

2. Nothing breathes here in the cold; Nothing moves or even smiles. I've been thinking some of suicide; but there's bars out here for miles.

3. Eisenhower sent him to war; he kept a picture is the pocket that was closest to his heart and when he headed shore, it must have been a target for the gunman.

4. Cause when the calm comes down, I'll take my truck to town; and buy whatever we can't seem to grow. I work these hands to bleed, cause I got mouths to feed; and I got 15 dollars hid above the stove.

5. Got 16 days; Got a bible and a rosary; God I wish that you were close to me; cause I owe you an apology.

Awhile back, he and Catlin Cary (the only Whisketwon member who really mattered besides Ryan) were talking about a reunion tour, but it never happened, which is a shame because she really added something to his talents, I think.

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Anyone bought the new one yet?

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

If nothing else, Adams is pretty damn versatile.

Rock and Roll was quite a departure for him, but it still worked.

8. I just love the fact that he and Bryan have the same birthday.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Seriously? That's awesome.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Fantasmagorical

11. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I'll echo that I liked Whiskeytown more than what he's done lately.
    I had "Cold Roses" on my mp3 for a while. Problem is, I use the mp3 mostly for running, and it's hard as hell to run to Ryan Adams. Much of Leonard Cohen presents the same problem.
    You'd think these artists would think about trying to help my fucking run before they go all slow and gloomy all the goddamned time ...

12. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

My sister in law ended up sucking face with him many years ago. I don't see the attraction, personally.

And I went to one of his shows, and it did nothing for me.

Sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted