1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Describe Ryan Adams in one word

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mystery_Meat, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Another good one.

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Wonder what Songbird thinks of Adams' cover of Wonderwall?

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

He covers Green Day but won't sing "Summer of '69." Douche with a capital D.

4. mercurial

can be brilliant but volatile, erratic and wildly inconsistent

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Obsequious
    Purple
    Clairvoyant.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Douche. Not many people fit that word better.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I'm NOT Ryan Adams, assholes!

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Brilliant.

This is one of those things that I can argue for days. Ryan Adams might be an asshole -- and there is plenty of evidence to suggest this, although most if it was produced in the height of his drug addiction -- but he's easily one of the most talented songwriters alive, and maybe of the last 30 years. Jay is correct; Adams really could write a song about this thread -- in 20 minutes -- and it would be better than half of what Billy Joe Armstrong has written in the last 10 years. And I like Billy Joe Armstrong. (He even appeared on Love is Hell, btw.)

The Summer of '69 stuff is probably the dumbest shit ever. If you think it's sooooo fucking hilarious to go to a Ryan Adams concert and scream "Summer of '69!" for two straight hours, why are you even there? (Get it! Their names are similar! One is a shitty Canadian pop star who wrote that song from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves!) I can't defend his assholish phone calls to Jim DeRogotis, but he's hardly the first or last musician to flip out over a bad review.

I'm not sure anyone has ever written better break-up songs than Adams. His stuff with Whiskeytown contains some of the best "story" songs of the last two decades (Jacksonville Skyline; Houses on the Hill; Bar Lights) and though some of his solo stuff has been mediocre (I think 29 is almost unlistenable and I don't really care for Jacksonville City Lights) I've never really understood why people seem to get mad that he puts out an album every year.

If all you know of Ryan is "New York, New York" or "Stars Go Blue" fricken PM me your address and I will send your ass a CD full of songs. Or at the very least, listen to some of his stuff on YouTube.

4. Dear Chicago (my favorite Adams tune)

5. Bar Lights

6. Jacksonville Skyline

7. Dance All Night

8. Excuse Me While I Break My Own Heart Tonight

9. Burning Photographs

10. Hotel Chelsea Nights

11. good job double down

yeah, whiskeytown was great

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Great freaking call on Jacksonville Skyline.
    Besides Dear Chicago, that's my favorite song he has done, and one of my all-time favorite lines is in that song.
    That paints just about as perfect a picture as I can imagine.

Draft saved Draft deleted