1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Des Moines Register | Basketball recruiting/preps reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zack Creglow, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Zack Creglow

Zack Creglow New Member

We just moved up our recruiting/preps reporter to a job focused more on Iowa Hawkeyes football. Pay for this spot will be in the low 30s, not including potential OT pay. We've adjusted this into a good role for a person to shine. It's a good mix of basketball recruiting and high school sports coverage.

Apply here

Job details: The Des Moines Register is seeking a digitally savvy sports reporter to cover high school sports and recruiting. We want someone who prefers telling stories that go beyond routine recruiting updates and game recaps – someone who is sharply focused on unearthing key news and take-outs from their beat and using that knowledge to produce timely analysis.

The successful candidate is willing to stretch himself or herself as a digital journalist, using all the tools at their disposal. That can include video, Facebook Live, Snapchat and other platforms aimed at reaching new audiences and engaging with readers in new ways. The reporter for this position will focus on basketball recruiting, with an eye on top in-state prospects and recruits linked to one of our state’s four Division I basketball programs and Iowa’s most-visible high school sports. This reporter will need to be composed and smart on video and on our various weekly radio shows that air on the market’s top sports talk station.

This person also will be a critical component of our All-Iowa content and banquet planning. The All-Iowa program is a year-long endeavor that recognizes the top Iowa high schoolers in 21 sports, culminating in a June banquet. This year’s banquet had 1,700 attendees, featured guest speaker Peyton Manning and was moderated by former All-Pro tight end Dallas Clark.

The ideal candidate for this position will approach the beat with audience in mind and a digital-first mentality, including being a leader in video and other multimedia storytelling techniques. The Register is Iowa’s largest newspaper and a 16-time Pulitzer Prize winner.

2. eclapt44

eclapt44 Member

Low 30s? SMH. Still, I'm sure there will be 300 resumes to sort through.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Good job, good people, GREAT town. The guy they're moving up is very sharp - a well-deserved promotion. I think this would be a solid job for someone willing to work hard and make a future at the Register.

4. DancesWithDirt

DancesWithDirt New Member

A lot of us who are casualties of the business would jump at low $30,000s, which is sad. It took a college degree to get into this business.

Suggswriter likes this.
  5. Zack Creglow

Zack Creglow New Member

Note to any applicants from this board:

I'll be out for a portion of this week. I plan to let applicants come in through the end of this week and will start evaluating our candidate pool in earnest starting next week.

6. eclapt44

eclapt44 Member

That's so sad. Glad I'm out of the biz.

DancesWithDirt and Ryan Holmgren like this.
  7. Mister413

Mister413 New Member

That might be sad, but I don't think any recent graduates, myself included, came out of college and were surprised that they won't be getting rich, not immediately anyway. I have a lot of friends who make low $40Ks and hate their lives because they're corporate slaves. You win some battles, you lose others. Which one matters more?

DancesWithDirt and Suggswriter like this.
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Low 30s for a recent grad in a relative low cost of living environment like Des Moines? Not bad. Low 30s for someone 10-plus years in the biz? Embarrassing.

DancesWithDirt likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted