1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Derrick Rose to have surgery for meniscus tear

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I prefer college, tradition and rivalries, although all the conference realignments and growth in size (preventing home and home match ups from top to bottom) have screwed that up quite a bit.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'll answer that after I shake my fist at the sky and bitch about those kids and their fancy dunks. You should definitely write a dissertation on how fans who pay $100 a pop are getting screwed by such showboating.

3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

He is wrong, but this is in the best interest of the NBA. The NBA is better off having these guys develop in college than come to the NBA, take a roster spot away from a veteran and then sit on the bench and develop for 2-3 years while sometimes developing into nothing.

I don't agree with the rule, but it's certainly easy to understand why the NCAA and NBA would be in favor of it.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

They are trying to insure themselves against bad decisions, of course. It's so dependent on the indivdual player at that age. It's pretty frustrating in football, where RBs and WRs are more than good to go at 18 or 19, but have to play three years of college because, basically, linemen are not.

In basketball, the argument I would make against college being good for development is that they play a third as many games against lesser competition.

So while a player might be better at age 20 than he was at age 19, he is not as good at age 20 as he would have been had he spent his age 19 season instead of the NBA.

See what I mean? He's better as a rookie than he would have been as a rookie a year before. But he's not as good as a player as he would have been with a year of the NBA under his belt.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Dick, you think most RBs and WRs are NFL-ready at 18 or 19? Fitzgerald probably was. I'm trying to think of others. I'm sure there are a few, but there is a long list of top backs and receivers who didn't even start in college until they were third-year sophomores.

My opinion is that the physical differences between the NFL and high school football (duh, I know...) is a big reason why it's in the best interest of football players to get three years of seasoning before being able to go to the NFL. There are exceptions. Clowney definitely was one. Suh may have been another.

Basketball is different. A lot of the top players can compete in the NBA straight out of high school.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Or you are watching The Knicks

MisterCreosote likes this.
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No. The NBA commissioner, a stooge for owners, is trying to do them a solid be requiring two years of indentured servitude before any money is spent.

Let's stop pretending there's some nobility involved in making these kids stay in school. There's not.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not.

The teams are trying to insure themselves against bad decisions. Another year against college competition makes for a more accurate assessment.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They are also trying to use the free marketing. Nobody ever cares about the Europeans who get drafted, only the guys they saw in the NCAA tournament.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Yeah, my guess would be this is more the motivation than the insurance against bad decisions. I've got no proof of that. Just seems to be the biggest benefit to me.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That's because the Europeans are white.

Draft saved Draft deleted