1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Derrek Lee, Chris Young to face big suspensions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I'll take a basebrawl over basketball fights not involving the Pacers.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Could broadcasters please stop calling this a brawl? I saw the whole thing. There WERE punches and a lot of shoves, but this was not a brawl. It's just so easy to pull the phrase "bench-clearing brawl" out of the cliche library.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'll tell you what. We should take up a collection to send you up to Chicago so you can say that directly to Derrek.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I did enjoy watching Lee run to his right to get behind the guy who was "holding him back" before turning to run toward Young again. :)

Oh, and WTF was Giles doing, sprinting in there and pushing Young back? If he was going to wade in there, he should have been going after Lee. If I'm Young, I'm pissed that Giles came in and pushed me back instead of going after Lee with me.

I also thought Zambrano was looking to dole out some old-school corporal punishment with that belt.

Oh, and as Buck Dub pointed out, you don't throw at a guy on a 1-2 count. If you're going to throw at someone, you do it on the first pitch. These guys are on pitch counts. They don't waste pitches knowing they're going to put someone on base anyway.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Apparently, he was in the clubhouse changing uniforms and hadn't had the time to put his belt on when the dugouts cleared.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Then I guess for everyone else's sakes it was good he had time to put his pants on. :)

7. http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ana2fb6CFNFN0XEP0YHh6Uc5nYcB?slug=ap-suspensions&prov=ap&type=lgns

Lee and Young get five games apiece. Cubs hitting coach Gerald Perry gets three; I was watching the game, but didn't see what Perry did.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Take a seat motherfucker.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Plenty of good ones available at RFK.

10. Moderator1

Cubs are there on July 4 - good seats still available. Don't know if I'm up for the schlep, however.

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Don't go to a Cubs game. No need for you to slum like that.

12. Moderator1

I can see the game just as easily from the chair I'm in now, eat what I want for a good price, not use nasty restrooms and not deal with long drives. So I probably won't.
    Of course, Soriano won't be able to hear my abuse from here but that's OK, too.

Going to Cubs because I want to win. How's that working out for you, big guy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.