1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Derrek Lee, Chris Young to face big suspensions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Fair enough, Buck. But people don't throw Lee inside any more. He's a great average hitter no matter how you pitch him, but he's a 40-homer guy when you throw him inside. If you miss inside, he'll take you out of the park. Maybe that's why he was so extremely high and tight.

Or ... maybe he threw at him. Throwing at Soriano could (and probably would) have gotten him ejected, and Soriano is a serious threat to steal second. Lee is the only other superstar in the lineup with Ramirez out, and without Ramirez to protect him, it's much easier to put him on.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

a) If you're going to throw at somebody, you're not going to think that deeply about strategy because it's so early in the game. Nobody's going to throw at Lee because they're worried about Soriano stealing second. No manager in baseball is smart enough to come up with that theory, I guarantee you.

2) If you are worried about Soriano stealing second, you hit him in the kneecap. Problem solved.

III) Lee can be pitched to. And Lee can be pitched inside to. He doesn't hit 1.000, for god's sake. ... A confident pitcher -- and Chris Young is that -- is always, ALWAYS, going to believe he can get any great hitter out, whether he pitches to the batter's strengths or his weaknesses. If nobody was pitching Lee inside, he'd be hitting a lot higher than .342.

I respect that you're trying to come up with an idea for why that ball was thrown so close to his head, but it's really this simple: Sometimes an inside pitch is just an inside pitch.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

And sometimes a guy throws at another guy's head. Lee said he wouldn't have done what he did had Young not said something that made him think it was intentional.

You're telling me NO manager is smart enough to prefer throwing at Lee instead of Soriano because Soriano would probably steal second? Come on, buck ... If you hit Soriano, then he can steal second and score on a single from Pie or Lee. If you hit Lee with no one on, and Ramirez isn't in the lineup, you're not exactly terrified of what's coming next. Cliff Floyd isn't chopped liver, but he's no healthy A-Ram. They were going to hit someone, and Soriano isn't a guy you want to give first base to.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Peavy all but declares somebody's getting fucking drilled today and no fucking warnings are issued before the game? I guess the cocksucker behind the plate isn't clar-fucking-voyant like the guy in Atlanta last week.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Except the guy in Atlanta didn't issue any warnings, I don't think.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Great sequence of photos from the Trib:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

A Major League 2 reference? You need to get out more. :p :D

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hey, you knew the reference, so .. yeah. :p

I have 20 premium movie channels. It was bound to come on once, and it did last night. What can I say?

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I've read a few articles and I've seen nobody report what Young said to Lee. Maybe I've missed it ... has anybody reported what Young said?

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

This was a great shot. AP had this as a main shot and I think they used it on the MLB site and the Yahoo sports site, IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You're right. He just told Piniella he "knew" Lilly was going to throw at someone.

Supposedly, Young, with a shit-eating grin, asked Lee, "You ok?" When Lee said he was Young said, "then take first base motherfucker."

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Chris Young, you da man. ;)

He obviously didn't miss the course "Take First Base, Motherfucker 301" in his junior year at Princeton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.