1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Derrek Lee, Chris Young to face big suspensions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Chris Young's a good guy in addition to being a smart guy. I doubt he said anything about Derrek's mama.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Piniella falling down during the fight was definitely the best part. He got rolled up on and took a nice spill. Hilarious.

3. Hammer Pants

Piniella after the game: "Let's see what the league does. They're inconsistent."

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

The Cubs taking losing to another level.

5. Hammer Pants

Why not throw at Soriano? Why did D. Lee of all people get it? Maybe because Soriano would steal second? If you're pissed at something Soriano did, why take it out on someone else? Does a Red Sox player get thrown at every time Manny or Ortiz stares at their homers, which they do every time?

6. Dignan

Dignan Guest

Let me get this straight: Young hits Lee in the shoulder (and nearly his head) with a 90 mph fastball. Then Young says something and points to first base as Lee's taking his base. Lee throws a punch that misfires. And he gets eight fucking games for that? Who the fuck are you, David Stern?

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Because he wasn't throwing at D. Lee, that's why.

He was pitching Lee high and tight, a solid strategy that most good pitchers employ, especially against good hitters like Lee, and it was a little too close for comfort. Hey, it happens.

But hitters nowadays think every inside pitch is intended to injure them, and wreck their livelihood. Get over it. Damn.

But they piss and moan and huff and puff, glare at the pitcher and ask the umpire to warn him, then the pitcher gets pissed at the overreaction and tells him to take his base like he's supposed to, and the hitter feels insulted, so all hell breaks loose, oh, and here come the bullpens ...

Sometimes an inside pitch is, you know, just an inside pitch. Sheesh.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Except when one of your precious fucking Braves decided to throw at Soriano last week on the FIRST FUCKING PITCH OF THE GAME, and nothing was done. You don't think Lee remembers that?

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Derrek Lee is what 6'7" and Chris Young is 6'10". That fight would be one tall order.

10. WSKY

WSKY Member

Young shouldn't of even been tossed for this let alone serve a suspension.

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Buck, I'm a Cub fan so my comments about the Princeton kid taking one (however weak) in the chops was meant in jest. But yes, the Crubs can't be without Lee for any length of time and part of me hopes the league does drop the hammer to send a message. It won't, though.

I also remember when Prior pitched Bonds inside (obviously a couple years back) and Bonds was getting all huffy about it. Prior's response after the game was along the lines of, "I'm doing what I have to do to be a professional and that means pitching Barry Bonds inside, and if I had to do it again I'd do exactly what I did." When did hitters start taking inside pitches personally?

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

So he's going after Young because he's got the Braves/Renteria incident in his mind? That makes even less sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.