1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Derek Jeter's "The Players' Tribune"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 1, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, btw, was it journalism or PR when ESPN with Jenay Rice, or SI with LeBron James, ran nicely polished, "as told to by" pieces?

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Resurrecting a 8-month old thread to mock the value of newspapers is interesting.

It probably just struck me the wrong way.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

PR.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I don't recall any predictions of the site failing, either. Most mocked it for what it was, a PR mouthpiece founded by the guy who never said a meaningful word to the media during his storied career.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Look at all that love for the craft of journalism!

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. No one is as sensitive to criticism as journalists.

Story came out that TPT was worth $140 million.

Wow. That's a lot. Posted it on the relevant thread here, as it wasn't worthy of it's own thread, and I thought it was fun to look at some of the comments from when it launched.

I almost went with a comment about how he's on his way towards accumulating enough money to purchase a team, but I was struck by the value of TPT in regard to newspapers and went wit that.

I think it's sort of fascinating that some of these new media companies are worth so much, and how few of them were launched by old media companies.

Old media has had trouble building value on the web, but others keep coming along and doing so.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm pretty insensitive to criticism.

I am more sensitive to what I perceive to be wind up jobs.

Lots of Internet sites are worth fictional dollars.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Maybe save the mocking for people who didn't lose their entire retirement savings and livelihood in the "devaluation" process.

My former employer's stock price went from $98/share to $4/share during my time there. We're all well aware of the plummeting value of newspapers. I'm reminded of it every time I wonder if I'll ever be able to retire.

9. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

How much does The Players Tribune pay in taxes. That will tell us how much they're actually worth.

That or losing 9 figures in a libel suit over posting a video of a pro wrestler's cock, only when they come to collect you're 42, still owe student loans and only have $1500 to your name.

Assuming Jeter is in better financial shape than that Peter Pan fuckwad Daulerio

cjericho likes this.
  10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

What does that even mean? Somebody paid real money to receive a certain percent ownership in The Player's Tribune, which indicates how much that investor valued the company. It may be more speculative because it is new and digital, but all that is priced into the valuation by the investors.

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

I'm so old, I remember when Athlete Direct was gonna put us all out of business.

12. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted