1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Derek Jeter's "The Players' Tribune"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Certainly possible. But if you're interviewed and they are using your words to craft the piece, and they use words you didn't say to make it a better piece of writing, isn't that fair to be annoyed about? I get that it's all fake, but still.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'd say yes and no, about it being fair to be annoyed. I have no firsthand knowledge of the Players Tribune, but I figured a lot of it was agent driven -- or at least agenda driven (duh, right?). For example, during the NHL playoffs, I saw a link to a first-person piece they did by Keith Yandle of the Rangers about how great New York is, and about how special it is playing at the Garden, etc. Not coincidentally, he was about to become a free agent and I knew he really wanted to stay in NY. ... except that the salary cap was going to be a problem and it would have taken something extraordinary for the Rangers to be able to free up the kind of money he is going to get (if they were even inclined -- and they actually didn't make any effort as it turned out). I figured it was planted by his agent, for whatever it was worth in trying to put pressure on them. Because Yandle wanted to stay in NY.

If you were to take that kind of thing to them to try to push your own agenda, and then you don't make certain that whatever they put up reflects what you wanted. ... I don't see how you can complain about what they put up. You left it in their hands.

Even if they approach you about doing something, and you genuinely have no agenda, if you are leaving it to someone else to write it, didn't you forfeit some of the right to complain? If that is going to concern you -- and YOUR name is on it afterall -- is it that hard to make sure they let you read it first before they post something with your name on it.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Sounds suspiciously like the player got razzed by other athletes because of what was in the piece -- written by "him" -- and then he tried to disassociate by saying they made shit up. I mean, that's like Barkley saying he was misquoted in his autobiography. Read the piece and sign off on it, but don't bitch after the fact and say you're misquoted. That's not a good look.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The guy who interviews and transcribes the player's thoughts is going to take a lot of liberty in putting the story together under the guy's name, but I would think the athlete's agent is given the copy to review with him. Somebody dropped the ball.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Sweet. Kobe's coming back next year!

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

ESPN and Janay Rice did it the right way!

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Nope. No one said dick to him. Glad you have it all figured out though.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I said it "sounded," because absent the details you haven't provided, we're kind of guessing, no? Name the player and cite some details, or just play god with them and be a dick about it. How do you know no one said anything to him? Did the Players Tribune verify that? Or did you just get it from him?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Buddy, I got nothing.

Double Down likes this.
  10. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

Like it or not The Player's Tribune is here to stay.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How many newspapers are worth as much?

Draft saved Draft deleted