1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Derek Jeter's "The Players' Tribune"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Launched today. Will be interesting to see how it does. It's already got 1,000-plus Twitter followers.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Is Manky Jimmy the editor

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I hope this becomes worthy of my retwopect.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Had been a little curious what he would do, this is not a bad idea, and I'd guess he has the people behind him to pull it off. Will be interesting the first time someone says something to get himself in trouble. You would have to guess that "no filter" is hyperbolic.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I eagerly await the kind of introspection and edginess that have always been part of Jeter's public persona.

His first assignment should be a Tom Brady column on the need to work hard in the face of adversity.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

At least he has Lenny Dykstra's "The Player's Club" as an example of what not to do. I contacted the managing editor of that pub when it was fledgling, and pitched him an interview with Chris Drury. He told me they only covered "the best of the best because that's what the publication was all about."

He later ended up suing Dykstra for unpaid salary.

7. PioneerVoice

PioneerVoice Member

I do think there are a couple things (at least philosophically) to be taken seriously here.

On one hand, this, like school and team-run media before it, is an example of sports cutting out the middle man (or woman) in media. You know --us journalists. And they can do it in a way that they see as more beneficial to them and without the sort of agenda they don't endorse.

That may or may not ring true to us, but if THEY believe it does, the symbiotic relationship between sports and independent media continues to sever. And that could have interesting implications. We've already seen it in diminished access (I report, sadly, that I think a lot of the most in-depth profiles on NFL players come from their own teams). What could be next? Beyond the big TV deals, who do they need anymore?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You have to admit that it's a better start than Murray Chass in retirement.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It was nice not hearing about him for, what, two days?

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Will Jeter's quotes run in red type?

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Jesu.

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Just looked at the site. It says the "editor reveal" will be Oct. 2. Sounds a little like an episode of The Bachelor.

Any predictions as to what former New York or New Jersey media types will be working for the site? Feels like an ex-Yankee beat writer or an ex-New York sports editor will be on board.

Draft saved Draft deleted