1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Derek Dooley to Serve as Athletic Director and HFC at La. Tech

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

La Tech will still suck at most men's sports.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

No way does this last more than two or three years. Dooley will either move on to a better coaching job or Tech will find a real A.D. I've known some coaches who tried to do both, and it wore ... them ... out.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I can't see how it would do anything else. Football is so time extensive to coach, adding on AD duties is just insane. Either one job or the other suffers, or you wind up in the hospital for "exhaustion" in 18 months.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Even if it lasted more than two or three years, it will likely age him fast.

He'd probably be 45 looking like 70 by the time his stint doing both is over.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Like father, like son, I guess. Hope the gym at La. Tech can hold on for another 60 years or so.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The only way it works is:

a) you are such a spectacularly successful football coach that nobody can possibly bitch about the AD job diverting your attentions from those duties; and

b) you hire an absolute f'ing stud of an Assistant AD to handle all the nuts-and-bolts grunt work, allow you to confine your AD duties to smiling at press conferences and schmoozing the trustees and the top alumni, and also is 100% loyal to you and will not begin maneuvering to stab you in the back.

Otherwise, one or both halves of the job will blow up on you within a year or two.

9. Armchair_QB

Reading between the lines in the release it looks like he got the job because he's a good fundraiser. I'm guessing he'll go with option "b" you mentioned.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Alvarez did both at Wisconsin. Wasn't Paterno PSU's AD for awhile?

I thought La. Tech was one of the schools that had separate ADs for men's and women's sports. I think Tennessee does that.

11. Armchair_QB

Alvarez did it very briefly at the end of his coaching tenure at Wisky. The current AD at Iowa State was the guy who handled the day-to-day administrative stuff under Alvarez.

John Robinson held both roles briefly at UNLV but other than the guy at Nevada there haven't been many coach/ADs in Division I since the early 90s.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The more I think about it, the more positive I am that Paterno did it or is still doing it...

Draft saved Draft deleted