1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Derby credentials for the wife?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 1, 2009.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So your wife never had a vicuna coat?

2. absolutely not

there is no right way

can't believe the stuff i read on here sometimes

you think it's OK to bring a kid into the press box? seriously now

3. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

No way, if you're working. If you're at the game as a ticket holder and you walk your kid up to show him where you spend all those hours, maybe introduce him to a colleague or three, and then get the hell back down to your seats -- or up to your seats, depending on your budget -- in about the time it takes to rake the infield and brush the bases between innings, I think that's fine. You used your credential or your "clout" for a quick look-see, big deal.

But if you're working or you're lingering or you've done it more than once or you don't actually have a ticket to be in the park/arena/stadium in the first place, no way. Kid, spouse, significant other, whatever.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

But what a way to impress a lady!
    Fix her up with a special pass and let her mingle with the pressbox gentry on gameday.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Anybody who runs anything involving horse racing is going to have a hard time turning away anybody from ESPN -- or anybody tangentially related to anybody from ESPN -- in this day and age.

6. Ditto.

Unfuckingbelievable.

7. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Did anyone watch RR's feature/story/whatever you call it on TV? Did he include his wife in it somehow?

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Many of them will call themselves "bloggers".

9. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

I was a child in a press box. My mom was also there. I think the difference is that we were part of the governing body over the sport. My mom did media relations for the state championships and my dad did PA announcing.

Reading this thread makes me feel like I did something wrong as a child by just being there. Sure, we were quiet and always had something to do. When we were old enough, we were allowed to go around the arena by ourselves, or up to the concession stands, but not until I was probably 10 or 11. My sister and I weren't the only ones, though. I can think of at least six other children who used to also be in the press box with us because their parents were part of the governing body over the championships.

I also learned at the age of probably two that cheering in the press box is strictly forbidden. It also gave me my first look at sports journalism and media relations, for which I am completely grateful.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Meaning you ran away from those fields, as career options, screaming as if your hair was on fire?

Some of us didn't get our rude awakenings until it was too late. ;)

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's incumbent upon the writer to respect the rules of the workplace. A PR person shouldn't be placed in that uncomfortable position because the question should never be asked.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To play devil's advocate, have you seen Reilly's better half? I'd show her off, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted