1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Derby credentials for the wife?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 1, 2009.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

A TV guy I know was waltzing around Augusta National this year with daughter in tow one day and a friend of his who is a former college hoops coach the other day. Not sure that people are as tough as they used to be.

2. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I could be wrong, but wasn't that LSU pressbox story debunked?

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Haven't we all heard stories, though, from children of beat writers who remember their dads taking them into the press box and into locker rooms to meet some of the players?
    How does that work, and how ethical is that?

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Probably 10 years old. Salt Lake 2002. Hockey.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

It should be considered taboo. Sadly, it's not in some circles.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just confirmed twice more - as well as some significant displeasure.

And I'm not sure on the LSU story. Was it debunked?

7. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

With all that happened last year with Eight Belles and Big Brown I bet the Derby people are trying to jump through hoops to do everything they can to get good press out of everyone there- especially someone that represents the World Wide Evil.
    It's a sad state of affairs, but it doesn't shock me.
    Now if one of us tried to do it, our creds couldn't be revoked faster. Bank on it.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Always wondered about that -- if Dad doesn't take the kids, he's seen as a lousy dad and blowing a great father-son bonding opportunity that could be remembered fondly for years. Then again, if he does, he's not being truly professional. I've known guys who opt to do it and then make anyone who questions it feel like a heartless bastard.

To me, that's worse than just doing it, knowing you're wrong and keeping a low profile about it.

Don't even get me started on the MEs and EEs who get credentials through their sports department's just to attend events or hang in locker rooms.

9. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I know the Masters and certain college football championship/bowl games will allow you to purchase "spouse" tickets. So, we're saying this was a straight-up credential, not a ticket?

10. jemaz

jemaz Member

Bill Millsaps, a man I greatly respect, used to do this frequently with his girlfriend/wife. I was in college working for the school newspaper. I thought it was standard practice, so when I was in my second year with the student newspaper, I brought my girlfriend with me into the press box at the Oyster Bowl (no press pass). The SID got her a seat and two days later chewed me out like I had never been chewed out before (or since).

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It would imagine that of all of the "national" sporting events where coverage is being hacked by sports department belt-tightening, the Kentucky Derby has to be very high on the list.

12. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Wonder what the Indy 500 (ALWAYS worth a trip) will look like in three weeks.

Draft saved Draft deleted