1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Derby credentials for the wife?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 1, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

So, I hear a buzz that a certain national columnist who is discussed on here often (cough*reilly*cough) managed a credential for his wife for the Derby? And that it is causing a little bit of buzz around Churchill Downs?

If this is wrong, I will happily pull it down and apologize. But I've heard it from two there and both are exceptionally reliable. Any other confirmation is welcome.

The questions: Does she work for a media outlet?

Is this now considered OK? It used to be pretty taboo. Have times changed?

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Know when Tony Terry was there, they were tougher than tough.
    They really cracked down on it. They're tough to muscle.
    They must figure the easing in this case must be worth the candle.

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

It depends. A friend of mine covered the Masters one year and told me some college-aged kid walked behind Reilly with a rolled up Sports Illustrated magazine showing his head shot for all to see.

With budget cuts and this tough economy, maybe his wife is filling in for the college kid.

4. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

The way things are going, I'd imagine the press box at Churchill Downs would be a pretty lonely place. Not enough real journalists to fill a row, let alone the room.

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I've seen an editor's child with credentials in the Olympic mixed zone and a TV reporter's pre-teen kid with credentials at a World Cup press conference, so this story doesn't seem too rare. Obnoxious, but not too rare.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How old a "child" at Olympics? How long ago?

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Is Rick even writing about the Derby? Or doing anything for the mouse? Or just hanging out because it's the place to be?

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

This upsets me.

And it probably should upset me more, but having seen the number of children, wives, husbands, nieces, nephews, best friends, etc. "working" in the press box for the sports information staff at the local state university over the years, I've gotten rather desensitized to it.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

As I recall Reilly made a pretty obnoxious debut for ESPN at last year's Derby, or one of the Triple Crown races.

His wife, did she look like a stripper? Or is it not the same person referenced in his infamous LSU press box scene?

http://thebiglead.com/?p=3396

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with reporters getting their wives credentials. It's when they get their girlfriends credentials, too, is when it gets loud and distracting.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

We all know better. If Churchill Downs wants to do a writer a favor by providing a guest or VIP badge, I've got no problem with that. Not a media credential; that can only lead to the person going where they don't belong and doing something terribly embarrassing.

Draft saved Draft deleted