1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deputy Sports Editor/Sacramento Bee

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bill_Bradley, May 30, 2006.

1. Bill_Bradley

Bill_Bradley Member

Hi guys,

We've got another management opening at the Sac Bee. We will probably move quicker on this one than we have on our Assistant opening. Our current deputy is leaving to become the Metro Editor of the Stockton Record. Here are the particulars:

The Sacramento Bee is seeking a deputy sports editor to serve as a team leader and as part of our management. This would be the No. 2 position in the Sports Department. We are considering internal and external applicants.

Like the ASE job mentioned before, we are looking for a proven wordsmith who can work with reporters, find holes in a story and improve content, from the deeper project to the daily advance. We cover the Kings, 49ers/Raiders, NASCAR, high schools and Giants and A's baseball.

The Bee sells 290,000 papers daily and 320,000 on Sunday.

Requirements:
    A strong background in improving content.
    Proven editorial management experience.
    A college degree.
    A deep knowledge of sports is helpful.
    Ability to work within a team environment.
    Ability to think visually to improve a story.
    Some weekend work required.

To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to:
    Bill Bradley
    Sports Editor
    The Sacramento Bee
    P.O. Box 15779
    Sacramento, Calif. 95852
    Or you may email them to bbradley@sacbee.com

No phone calls please.

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

at the risk of being a smart alec or cynic, why are sometimes they called deputy sports editors and other times called assistant sports editors?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Deputy usually signifies they are the No. 2 guy/gal just below the sports editor.

You may have lots of assistant sports editors.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

It's just the word "deputy" makes me think of the Old West or something.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Not always. The big paper I worked at until recently has four deputy sports editors, including a senior deputy sports editor. No assistants.

6. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

The posting by Bill says this job essentially is No. 2 in the department.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Understood about this position. I was just saying deputy doesn't always mean the same thing.

8. GeorgeScott

GeorgeScott Member

Deputy will always be the next notch below the sports editor (or, deputy ME a notch below the ME, etc).

If there are assistants, that'd be a notch below the the deputies. The word Deputy signifies No. 2. Just like in the old west.

Yes, there can be more than one deputy. Many papers have a sports editor, a couple deputies (often a day and night deputy), and then some assistants.

Hope that helps.

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I always wanted to be a deputy sports editor, because I think you're allowed to carry a gun. Alas, I'm not exactly qualified for this job.

10. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I'm guessing no guns will be involved, though I suspect it will get a lot of play/attention. Very nice opening.

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

You can carry a gun, but only one bullet, and it needs to be in your pocket

12. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Any movement here?

Draft saved Draft deleted