1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deputy Sports Editor - Indianapolis Star

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Ronnie Ramos, Apr 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

Let it go. Let it go...

2. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

I was told "unofficially frozen" last week by somebody who absolutely would know.
    If it were "frozen," meaning no chance of reopening or filling, I would have said that.
    Not surprised you butchered the difference.

3. tacheles

tacheles New Member

ME-OW.

This pissing match tells us nothing about this important job opening at what is a pretty dang respectable paper. And it doesn't let us in on any good gossip, either.

Unless we hear more about one or the other, I'm with RonClements -- let it go.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Respectable paper, yes, but as a daily reader I'd like to see them get another copy editor or two on board.

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

This is Gannett, who says there are any copy editors? We need content producers.

6. Ronnie Ramos

Ronnie Ramos New Member

Job is not frozen in any way, 1HPGrad - Lawrence. We are moving ahead unobstructed since the day it was posted. Really tired of the bashing and incorrect information posted on here by anonymous people. I came on here in an attempt to provide information and in an attempt to cast as wide a net as possible for good candidates. For some Florida-based, former newspaper guy to come on and dispute what is happening in my newsroom (without providing names and trying to be anonymous) is a waste of everyone's time. I am done with this board. If anyone wants to reach me, I use my own name and am easy to find.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Which Gannett shops are you used to that don't have copy editors? We're a 25K and have five full-timers and one part time.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You've been a member for over 7 years, but are "done" because one bozo posted some bad info?

Really? That's pretty think skinned if you ask me.

9. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Nice try on the outing. Extremely, extremely poor form, however, and, in typical form, wrong again.
    You then made two more fact errors in one paragraph. That's impressive.
    I relayed what I heard from somebody who knows exactly what the hell is going on in that newsroom. I wasn't even addressing you. I was responding to Fran, who wondered about the possible delay.
    I hope you fill it because I root for the business -- you know, because I'm still part of it. I believe you will fill it. But I also believe what I was told -- and that was, you won't be filling it as quickly as you thought.

10. FusilliJerry

FusilliJerry Member

More and more, these threads devolve into pissing matches. Really obnoxious.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

10 weeks after a job is posted, it's still not filled.

Publications owned by the same company had layoffs today.

But, it's out of line to suggest their might be an "unofficial freeze" on the job, based on what someone told you? Why?

Ronnie spelled out an initial timeline, but today added no update to the timeline. That's not the most convincing defense.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

How many candidates are there, and when are the interviews?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.