1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deputy sports editor -- Helena, Mont.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jwelsch, Sep 26, 2017.

1. jwelsch

jwelsch New Member

The Helena Independent-Record, a 9,600 circulation daily in Montana’s vibrant capital city, is seeking a digitally oriented deputy sports editor to direct a three-person staff and work closely with four other Lee Montana editors on a thriving new statewide sports website (406mtsports.com).

We’re looking for someone with an eye for compelling content beyond the formulaic gamer and boilerplate feature on the star of last week’s game. While our primary focus is on passionate support for Carroll College and four high schools, Helena also is a mix of folks who run, pedal, swim and engage in a variety of athletic pursuits.

Our ideal candidate will understand the importance of balancing our traditional print footprint needs with a growing attention to our expanding digital world. Shifts will range from producing the daily print section, daily stories and weekly Carroll game-day tabs to pursuing features about local athletes who spur interest across our vast, intimate state.

Collaboration with Lee sports sections in Billings, Missoula and Butte mean you’ll receive statewide content of local interest, including University of Montana and Montana State University sports, the Frontier Conference and rodeo.

Social and digital media savvy are essential. Photo skills are a big plus.

Helena is located in a picturesque valley surrounded by mountains – heaven if you’re an outdoor enthusiast.

The IR is an equal opportunity employer with an excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, paid holidays and vacation. Salary depends on experience. Visit our websites at www.helenair.com and www.406mtsports.com to see our work.

To apply go to www.helenair.com/workhere.

PM me for more information.

-- Jeff Welsch, Lee Montana executive sports editor

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A few thoughts:

• Helena is a great town/area to live. Tons of outdoor activities in the region — hell, within the city limits. Downtown has a good mix of bars/restaurants and interesting businesses.
    • Carroll College sports — especially football — has a big following (I'm somewhat biased in saying this ...).
    • The 406mtsports concept seems like a winner to me, both in print and online. Hope it works out for the Lee Montana papers.

I've been impressed with the print version of the Independent Record during my visits to Helena, and helenair.com is a decent web site. Looks like a great opportunity for someone to step up their game.

3. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

I can offer up some information on this position if you PM me.

Draft saved Draft deleted