1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deputy Sports Editor, Charlotte Sun (Port Charlotte, Fla.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Patrick_Obley, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Patrick_Obley

Patrick_Obley New Member

DEPUTY SPORTS EDITOR
    Charlotte Sun

The Charlotte Sun in Charlotte County, Fla., seeks a DEPUTY SPORTS EDITOR to work with the Sports Editor of a seven-person department that plays much bigger than its size would suggest.

The Sun is a family owned, daily publication that, in these times of industry decline, is growing circulation. As a seasonal destination, our annual circulation is 42,000, but grows to in excess of 60,000 during peak winter months. Our sections run anywhere from 8 to 16 long-tab pages (roughly 6-12 broadsheet) with plans to expand further to as many as 24 twice a week.

The DSE's primary responsibility will be the day-to-day management and smooth operation of our sports desk which, as you might imagine, faces challenges that go beyond the typical 42K-circ daily. The DSE will work closely with the SE on staff scheduling and daily budgeting and will be responsible for the section's look and feel.

Charlotte County is the spring training home of the Tampa Bay Rays and the year-round home of the team's Florida State League affiliate, the Charlotte Stone Crabs. We also cover the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Our bread and butter, though, is prep sports at our five schools. During the 2009-2010 school season we covered every home event in every sport at each school and we're striving to do the same again this season. That's not to say we treat football and girls' weightlifting equally, but you can bet we'll have a byline (be it stringer or staff) on that girls weightlifting meet.

Knowledge of Adobe InDesign, InCopy and other Adobe products is preferred. Knowledge of DTI systems is a plus. This position is ideal for someone with an extensive copy desk and design background. While management experience is strongly preferred, it is not a prerequisite, depending your body of work.

Send a cover letter, resume and clips. The clips can be whatever it is you're most proud of, be it a story, a design, a special section or a series. We also would like to see an additional letter detailing why you believe these particular clips are most representative of you.

Send your packets to:
    Charlotte Sun
    c/o Patrick Obley, Sports Editor
    23170 Harborview Road
    Charlotte Harbor, FL 33980
    (If you FedEx, please note the location may come up as "Port Charlotte" or "Punta Gorda" ... all locales work)

No phone calls, please, but feel free to e-mail Obley at pobley@sun-herald.com

ON A PERSONAL NOTE: Some of you here know me. I'm moving to a position within the department that will allow me to spend more time in the community and coaching writers while embarking on some writing projects of my own. We have a great staff here and you would be stunned by just how great (and affordable) a place this is to live. Punta Gorda is one of the nicest small towns around with terrific hole-in-the-wall dining and drinking establishments. The county itself is home to every chain restaurant/hotel/department store/mall store known to civilization. Added bonus: The beaches are uncrowded. Fishing and snorkeling opportunities abound. Tampa, St. Pete, Sarasota and Fort Myers are short drives. Hit me up with any questions.

ONE FINAL NOTE: Our Web site is trash. It's something we're working to mend. If you want to take a close look at our operation, let me know, and I'll send you a password to our e-edition.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I like this area... Would consider it if I wanted to make a move...

Is the Captain and Cowboy still around?

3. ScottJBryan

ScottJBryan Member

I don't know much about the Charlotte Sun, but Patrick Obley is a great journalist and an even better guy. He did a fine job when he worked at The State, and I have no reason to believe he's not doing a fine job in Florida.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I know it's been six years now, but how has the area recovered from Hurricane Charley?

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The Saints winning the Super Bowl was a big help.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Obley: Fine people. Paper: Well, I am sure he has made some changes since I last saw it ...

A friend of a friend once told me that management there didn't believe in having a quality website. The internet being a fad and all ...

rb

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

My parents live right across the river/sound fro Port Charlotte. In some ways the hurricane was a blessing because it cleared out a bunch of old, broken down buildings and made way for new investment/infrastructure.

I read this paper when I visit, and it's a good read for a paper its size.

Plus you can eat at Harpoon Harry's.

8. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

Pat's a really good guy and, I would assume, a good boss. And I know they are trying some interesting stuff there. This could be a real good job for somebody wanting to get onto the editing side of things.

9. Patrick_Obley

Patrick_Obley New Member

Slappy: Capn' lives! Though it isn't open every day
    Scott: You're a class act and I'm flattered by your words
    Mystery Meat II: Yes, the area is almost completely recovered. Punta Gorda reinvented itself. Elsewhere, there remain some abandoned houses, but it's difficult to tell of it's the ongoing hurricane effect or the economy
    Rockbottom: Ha! Web situation hasn't changed much. We're still trying to impress upon our elders the importance of the information superhighway
    Micropolitan: If you've haunted our realm, then you've probably seen us at our worst and best. Depending on the week though, it might have all been "worst" ... that's why I need a DSE!
    Todd: Why you all mad?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Then if the Capn is open then Gators has to be...

11. Patrick_Obley

Patrick_Obley New Member

Gator's is alive and well and the Celtic Ray is under its original Irish ownership. There's also a new pub called The Icehouse. Great, great place.

And of course, if it's dinner time and you want to see an awesome sunset, there's Harpon Harry's, as Micropolitan mentioned.

Draft saved Draft deleted