1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deputy Sports Editor, AP -- New York

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MileHigh, May 12, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Some big shoes to fill here.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1359336

The Associated Press seeks a highly experienced Deputy Sports Editor at its headquarters in New York City.

The successful candidate will have a demonstrated track record of superior news judgment, excellent content editing skills, a self-starter, and be able to work well under pressure. This role serves as a liaison with Associated Press Sports Editors and is a key contact for questions and/or issues. RESPONSIBILITES:

* Manages the top of the report, big events and major beat * Manage and develop four regional assistant sports editors who oversee a combined staff of 80 domestic reporters. In addition, directs a national staff of 30 at headquarters in New York * Serves as the day-to-day operations manager, working with direct reports as well as staff in London, Europe, Asia, the Middle East and Africa and other news departments in New York headquarters, especially to develop stories that have crossover value * Assigns stories, including breaking news, follow-ups, takeouts and special features. Ensures the report fully embraces all platforms and that the department is a true multimedia operation * Monitor social media for breaking news, trends and story ideas, as a key element of daily operations * Partner with enterprise editor to spot trends, timely takeouts for weekend packages, features and profiles, as well as special advances and seasonal packages such as baseball, football and college sports previews.

JOB REQUIREMENTS: Candidates must have the ability to coordinate, assign and skillfully edit fast-breaking stories. The successful candidate must have a deep, rich knowledge of and interest in a full range of sports, both national and international.

* Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience * Solid journalism experience with demonstrated increase levels of responsibility * 6+ years management experience and staff development * Strong organizational skills with experience juggling multiple projects across formats and meeting deadlines * Excellent communication and collaboration skills, coupled with the ability to manage relationships across multiple platforms * The ability to travel and work a variety of hours to meet the needs of a 24/7 news organization. Must be able to demonstrate a high level of fluency in written and spoken English. Authorization to work in the United States is mandatory.

For consideration, submit your cover letter, resume and clips to: NationalNewsJobs@ap.org. Do provide the name of this position in the subject line of your email. The Associated Press is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.

To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to: NationalNewsJobs@ap.org

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I wonder if there's any chance they hire an outsider. Often, it seems, these jobs are posted as a pro forma exercise. Although I realize that Mary Byrne came from outside AP.

3. MileHigh

Is there anyone in the wings who can move up into that chair? As mentioned before, some huge shoes to fill.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Was this Ben Walker's job?

5. MileHigh

Mary Byrne's.

6. cjericho

Ahh. Ben is asst se or right below dept se?

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

See him mostly with baseball bylines, and, of course, Westminster.

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Terry Taylor would be your boss. You might say she likes to make sure you stay on top of things. I.E., wear Teflon.

9. cjericho

yeah he was national baseball writer or whatever that title is, but pretty sure a few years ago he was promoted. terry taylor is still there?

10. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Dunno the particulars about Taylor, but given the tough arena that is journalism these days, any hint of a boss who is gonna be overbearing is a deal-killer from my end.

I don't need that kind of newsroom tension anymore, since the daily grind is gonna be tougher anyway. And that old "What have you done for me lately?" routine is the question I now pose in my head for management.

More than ever, it's a two-way street. If everything is a business decision anymore, then let's not pretend "we're a family here" when the boss wants you to "take one for the team."

This view might not get me a job in journalism anymore, but that's OK at this point. I have more to give than I can possibly hope to get in return, so who needs the hassles for a doubled or tripled workload under severely reduced pay? I'm finding enough work outside the industry to keep me going, and though I might have had an outside shot at this AP job had I applied for it, the idea of jumping back into that kind of fire makes me realize that I'll be happier in a kinder, gentler arena from here on.

I guess my point is this: A big-boy/girl job such as this is great for a rising star with a lot of energy who is hungry to learn and grow in a demanding atmosphere, and more power to you if you get the job. Those hard workers in the trenches are still the backbone of journalism.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Taylor's idea of "management" is to constantly call people at the game site and ask why their story wasn't in five minutes ago.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, it could be argued she's just doing what thousands of sports deskers around the nation are grumbling about to one another.

"Game's over. Where's the &$#@!%& story?"

Draft saved Draft deleted