1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deputy SE -- Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Igor in CT, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Editude

Editude Active Member

It is unfair to label a class of paper as a rag based on its size, but it also seems unfair to think that, for many, a leap from a 30k to a 200k (even one as soft as this one) would not be especially large. There are different expectations along the way, and taking a couple of steps to get there often isn't a bad thing.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think some people are taking the rag comment a bit too personally here.

The Trib always aims ridiculously high given its pay scale, at least at the start of the interviewing process. I think it is because that makes the whole thing take longer. The longer it takes, the longer they don't have to pay that salary.

3. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly Guest

The 200,000 circulation figure is very deceptive. I believe they get that number by combining the circulations of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Greensburg Tribune-Review, Valley News-Dispatch, Connellsville Daily-Courier and Kittanning Leader-Times -- the five sections that are produced out of the Pittsburgh office. The actual circulation of the <i>Pittsburgh</i> Tribune-Review is -- I'm guessing -- in the 50,000 range.

4. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

That is entirely correct. I've heard anywhere from 50K to 60K for the Pittsburgh Trib, based on what day of the week it is.
    And 200,000 is an outside Sunday circulation, combining both editions.
    The Trib has been markedly unable to grow its circulation organically. Really, the only circulation gains it's made is through ridiculous deals (at one point, you could subscribe for I think four days a week for a year for 10 bucks) and buying up all the small papers around it.

5. I think the 50,000 guess is wildly optimistic.

I used to work at the Trib. I can tell you I saw first-hand that the circulation boards had the Trib's Pittsburgh-only Monday circulation pegged at about 25,000. Now, I admit that was about five years ago, but I doubt that the circulation has doubled in five years.

This is not intended to be a slam at the TR. I worked there. I liked some of the people who were there. Most were good people working hard. But there is a wide gap between the image the paper likes to convey and the reality.

Few people outside of Pittsburgh, though, know the reality.

Like it or not the TR is a daily in a town with three major league franchises (well two major league and one second-tier baseball team), so it will look good on a resume, regardless of what the circulation numbers say.

6. ChillyWilly

ChillyWilly Guest

I don't doubt that 25,000 is an accurate number. Like I said, 50,000 was a guess. ... I think it's interesting to ask for someone with 5 years at a 50,000-plus paper, when going to the Trib might actually be a step-down for that person.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This is not listed as an ASE. It's advertised as a Deputy job.
    Should be a big difference.

8. fishwrapper

9. outofplace

The 200,000 they claim is a beancounting trick. That part is true. But 25,000? No. That's not accurate either. I think 50,000-60,000 is closer to the truth. Good luck getting an accurate number, though.

If they are replacing Mike Orfanopoulos, as speculated above, it is what you would expect of an assistant sports editor's position. I'm not sure why they call it Deputy Sports Editor. I think it's just a matter of avoiding calling anybody an "assistant" anything. This is the second-in-command, so to speak, in the department.

10. outofplace

Pretty much, though if I understand it correctly this position is more involved in long-term planning and dealing with writers as well as copy editors than what I would call a desk chief.

11. Harry Lime

Harry Lime New Member

Mike isn't leaving. He's taking another position elsewhere in the company. He'll be running some hockey magazine that the Trib is starting.
    That's the facts, Jack!

12. fishwrapper

Who is Jack?

Draft saved Draft deleted