1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deputy Regional Sports Editor - Raleigh

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Matt Stephens, Sep 9, 2021.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Same person.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

How can we expect our readers to tell the difference between journalism and clickbait if as journalists we rely on unconfirmed reports from questionable outlets instead of conducting our own reporting.

And Mody, I honestly expected more from you.

Natalie is an “attempted suicide survivor”and a major advocate for normalizing discussions surrounding mental health. She launched and ran her own nonprofit and she’s also a public speaker.

That’s what showed up on my Google search, but I guess you all missed that part.

And this is too small of an industry where if you really wanted to know what kind of journalists Natalie is, it’s not like you couldn’t reach out and ask.

I guess that’s a lot harder though than publicly questioning a stranger’s qualifications and character without doing any of your own reporting.

Though, that would certainly explain why some people say they are “working as hard as ever for a salary I was making when my former 31-year-old Lexus rolled off the assembly line.”

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to disappoint you - my point was I don't know her and don't know what's true but there is plenty out there that would require asking a whole lot of questions. Plagiarism is perhaps the biggest sin in this business, that and fabrication are the biggies. And that story about the car situation appears in other non-clickbait sites

https://www.al.com/news/2015/10/alcom_reporter_natalie_pierre.html

This one would have to be vetted very, very carefully.

I've hired a lot of people over the years, and some have been misses. Red flags pop up, you check them out thoroughly. You do not try to dismiss them as not as bad as they seem.

One day, maybe, I'll share the story (without names) of the guy with the five-year gap in his resume. Eh, probably not.

4. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Also, I get everyone gets a second chance, but how does someone go from reporter, reporter who plagarises someone else's work to getting a better gig 'coaching' reporters? That is what I don't get. She can get another shot, no one wants her out entirely....but maybe have to be at the same level or down a level before getting this kind of gig.

Tarheel316 likes this.
  5. BTExpress

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

There’s no need to ask about the plagiarism, which you ignore in your post. And BTE is right despite your swipe at him.

7. Sports Barf

Sports Barf Well-Known Member

Go on…

8. Fdufta

Fdufta Member

Glad she's doing better. Sounds like, given her professional and personal experiences, she could be in a better position to "coach" reporters or whatever the job may be. People can learn from their mistakes, although there hasn't really been much of an explanation for the whole plagiarism thing.

wicked likes this.
  9. ChadFelter

ChadFelter Active Member

Catching up on posts I've missed in the last couple months. A bunch of old white dudes disparaging a young black woman they don't know is the least surprising thing I've come across so far.

10. BTExpress

Go to the politics thread. Thousands of posts disparaging old white men we don't know.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Have you even bothered to read the posts? This has nothing to do with race. Good grief.

JM22720, RonClements and HanSenSE like this.
  12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Do some homework next time, Felcher.
    There's some history and a hell of a backstory there.

RonClements, HanSenSE and Tarheel316 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted