1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dept. of Homeland Security wants *all* of us on a no-travel list?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Escape from America. The Movie.

Starring Murphy The Dog.

This time, it's pho-real.

2. Frylock

Frylock Member

We are apathetic because we are free.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Fucking wow ...

My brother is married to a Japanese woman, and they have two kids, one on the way. Needless to say, they travel to Japan once a year with the kids, and the in-laws come in from Japan every other year. The thought of those good people maybe never seeing their grandkids again because of this fucking new law ... it makes me want to cry.

4. Jones

Jones Active Member

Well, at least you guys can stay home and play on-line poker.

Oh, wait...

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Well damn, listening to your boy Kerry, we need the draft to get intelligent soldiers into the war.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Why? as long as American Idol is still on the air everything is fine.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Someone tell me this isn't the plot to some Orwellian-type book or movie. Please.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Here's the actual document...

http://tinyurl.com/e6uzy

What kind of fascist Disneyland are we living in? This is fucking bullshit to the highest order.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

No, no plot, this is your government.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I swear, I feel like I'm dreaming sometimes. I always believed things like that would never happen in my America or John Mellencamp's America. Maybe Saddam would suspect innocent citizens leaving the country of being up to no good, but certainly not our president. Damn.

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Maybe I'm missing the part about having to ask for permission to leave the country -- completely possible, given the length and language in that link No One provided -- but from what I gathered, this is a proposal that would require airlines to forward passenger lists a little earlier so Homeland Security (or whoever) would have more time to keep suspected terrorists off planes.

Certainly, if they plan to use the no-fly list, this is gonna be a huge problem for a few people. You might've heard this, but those lists aren't so accurate.

But I just didn't see the part in there where we would all have to apply for permission to enter or leave the country. Did I just overlook it?

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

My sister is in the travel industry, goes back and forth to Europe like I go to the supermarket. Just spent the swekend in Stockholm on a SAS sponsored junket.
    The big concern about this is the governement will start to question people like her, or businessmen who travel overseas a lot -- much of her clientele -- because they go in and out of the country so often.

The government wants passenger lists in advance so they can approve everyone on the flight before it takes off to leave the country and before it takes off from a foreign country bound for US, at least that's how people in travel industry are reading this.

Good way to kill of another couple of airlines as well as hold us all hostage to the Bush Nazis.

Draft saved Draft deleted