1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Depressing night of movie watching

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ScribePharisee, Jul 19, 2008.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Was the sequel "Done in 10 seconds?"

2. But did the 'getting even' even last 60 seconds?

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

How did you get even? Did you make the person watch National Treasure 2? Because, if so, that's just mean.

4. I thought it meant they had sex.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

United 57 sold me on Greengrass, check out his Bloody Sunday if you haven't already. One of the things I loved about United was that he used several of the air controllers who were there when it went down and they were quite effective.
    And I have no sympathies for terrorists. But if you're going to classify a terrorist as anyone who has ever associated themselves with a terrorist, you're gonna need a bigger detention facility. I'm certain there are people sleeping comfortably in DC tonight that are just as "involved" with has gone down with Bin Laden, as some of those at Gitmo.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

My wife wants to rent that. Just once.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

She says she only wants it once, BYH. But once she experiences it, she'll watch it over...and over...and over...and over. And soon, she'll move the DVD player into the bedroom. And start having headaches every night. You'll find rogue copies in her office.

It's all downhill once she knows what else is out there. Never mention this to her.

8. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

The comment was "I wonder why we have empathy for terrorists..."

This can either be interpreted as "you and I" in which case I'm self-criticizing and you're beating up on yourself, or I speak of "we" as society, or at least a segment of society. Which in fact, there is a segment of society that seems to have forgotten what we went through on 9/11 and become pacifist too quickly. Typically, when people accuse us of something we're not, we can blow it off rather than get angry, unless it has cost us something (they've sued us for something we didn't do, as an example). Since you're not out a dime as a result of my thought, then could it be your conscience or do you just not know how to blow something off that doesn't concern you? And if you don't believe there are people in this country who too soon became empathetic to the problem and the people and mind-set responsible for this, you've been living on Venus.

9. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

obfuscate
    (ŏb'fə-skāt', ŏb-fŭs'kāt') pronunciation

tr.v., -cat·ed, -cat·ing, -cates.

1. To make so confused or opaque as to be difficult to perceive or understand: “A great effort was made . . . to obscure or obfuscate the truth” (Robert Conquest).
    2. To render indistinct or dim; darken: The fog obfuscated the shore.

[Latin obfuscāre, obfuscāt-, to darken : ob-, over; see ob– + fuscāre, to darken (from fuscus, dark).]

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Making a surely pointless effort to address the original question ...

I was emotionally affected by 9/11 more than most people, far disproportionately to its effect on me personally. I live 3,000 miles from New York and had no connection to anyone who died. But it just wrecked me, and I'm still not sure exactly why. I wasn't in a great place personally, and maybe it just tapped into something.

About three blocks from where I was living, there's a 10-foot version of the Statue of Liberty at the beach, put there by the Boy Scouts 50 years ago. It became a huge shrine, candles and remembrances spreading out in concentric circles farther each day. People played guitar and sang, and they made those candles in paper sacks spread for a quarter mile along the sea wall.

A couple of times a day, I'd just get overwhelmed and need to walk down there. It was cathartic in some way. I can't go past that statue without thinking about it.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Outing alert: ArnoldBabar is Chuck Heston

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Awesomeness.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted