1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Depressing Christmas Songs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

"I'll Be Home for Christmas" kinda gets to me when I consider it in the context in which it came out ... It was written in 1943 during World War II, long before it was evident that the Allies would win the war.

So when I hear it, it's not simply from the viewpoint of someone away from and longing for home, it's from someone who's stuck in some shithole half-a-world-away who may or may not have any hope of ever getting back. That gets to me.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Can I say "all of them"?

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

You need to tell us how you really feel.

And I'm with NoOneLikesUs and cougar...the two Darlene Love songs are my favorite Xmas songs by a country freakin mile, but they remind me are people alone at Xmas and it makes me sad.

Another one: 2000 Miles by The Pretenders. Mock 90210 all you want, but when Steve gets on the bus to find his real mom as that song is playing in the background, man, that knocks me on my ass every time.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's cause Donna Martin was doing everyone but you... THAT'S the real reason

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

So you're saying you don't like songs about emotionally retarded people feeling sorry for themselves?

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That is my No. 1, not close.

Draft saved Draft deleted