1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Depp as Riddler, Hoffman as Penguin

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

From title of thread, I thought it was going to be Dustin Hoffman.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

3. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

So did I, haha, I was having flashbacks of "Hook"

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You and me both.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Same here. Now that would've been a strange choice.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Your analysis frightens me. I mean the Riddler and Captain Jack are both male and intelligent and, uh, ... um, uh, crap. Huh, I guess that's all the two have in common.

As for Depp marginalizing Bale or whatever, I don't see it. But I guess we'll have firsthand evidence of whether that's the case come next year, as they're both in Public Enemies. Depp plays John Dillinger and Bale plays the FBI guy trying to catch him. They get close to equal screen time from what I've read. Neither one of them seems to give a shit about that sort of thing, though. This isn't Steve McQueen and Yul Brinner we're talking about.

And that's just one reason why Depp is far from a regular leading man. Yeah, he looks like one, but in 90 percent of his movies his appearance or voice or both are radically altered to suit the character. He's simply the best character working today. He becomes the character and he's not even method. When he's on screen you're not thinking, Oh, there's Johnny Depp pretending to be Hunter S. Thompson. You're thinking, there's Hunter S. Thompson or Captain Jack or JM Barrie or George Jung or Edward Scissorhands.

The guy disappears into his role, the same way Ledger disappeared into the Joker. And if Bale gets upstaged or gets his scenes stolen, it's because Batman is the straight man.

Personally, I don't think anyone else could play the Riddler and not have it come off as being Joker-lite.

That said, this is still all hypothetical bullshit. Aaron Eckhart said he'd love to come back in the next one, if there is one, but then the novelized version of The Dark Knight came out and it definitively said Two-Face was dead. So the actors can say whatever they want to the press, but it doesn't mean anything at this point.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Dustin Hoffman reprises the role of Ratso Rizzo, turned into a villain.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice... and Jon Voight as?

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Creep in the alley No. 2

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I'm riddling here!

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Dustin Hoffman can play a pretty good creep. Check out Confidence if you haven't seen it.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted