1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Depp as Riddler, Hoffman as Penguin

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Oh boy...

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/09/08/whaaaa-michael-caine-confirms-johnny-depp-up-for-the-riddler-philip-seymour-hoffman-for-the-penguin-in-batman-3/

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm more annoyed with how blithely Michael Caine revealed that information than I am about the information itself.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I fear those two will need too much screen time and marginalize Bale. I think it's a bad idea to have two such huge names as villains.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Do you think Ledger marginalized Bale?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hoffman can be subtle, but I fear Depp will be a disappointing -- not for lack of effort, but because the role will draw inevitable comparisons to Captain Jack.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Ledger's performance was huge, but the actor's mere presence in that case didn't carry the kind of baggage that having a star like Depp would. It would be kind of like using Nicholson in the old Batman, actually.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I think you're right about that (the Depp comparisons, anyways).

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Yeah, you're probably right about that--Ledger wasn't at Depp's level previously to his performance. That being said, despite his larger than life performance, I didn't think Bale was necessarily marginalized--overshadowed yes, but marginalized, no.

9. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

i think bale marginalized himself. not sure he's right for batman. to answer the question, ledger marginalized everyone. he was that good.

11. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Hoffman provided a great answer, by the way, to something he could have quickly dismissed. I think he is one of the best actors working today and now like him even more.

Also, Depp and Hoffman in the same film would exceed the capacity for villains. Give me Depp and that would be enough.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Phil Hoffman is the second/third? coming of Gene Hackman/Robert Duval in my mind. The guy can do anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted