1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Departure in Marin

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Dave Albee column excerpt below. He goes on to note that at the Marin I-J, he outlasted seven publishers in 22 years. Nice continuity in the executive suite ......

OPENING DAY in baseball is my favorite day in sports. It represents hope, optimism, a fresh start, a new page. We all need that.

Unfortunately, this is my closing day. My last call.

After nearly 36 years in this business and more than 22 years at this newspaper as a sports columnist, senior writer and, lastly, sports editor, I have been told my full-time services are no longer needed. I will continue to blog on the Marin IJ's Web site and intend to launch my own site (DaveAlbee.com) to provide commentary and offer freelance work. ......

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Damn. Dave Albee is good peeps.

3. Ensign Pulver

Ensign Pulver Member

Two near-certainties for anyone who walked into a Bay Area press box over the past 22 years -- 1) Dave Albee was already there, and 2) he was already writing.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I imagine the Bay Area isn't the only place where bloggers now outnumber print people in the press box.

Draft saved Draft deleted