1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denver SJ

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Madhavok, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Good afternoon my fellow CO SportsJournalists.comers. We've got about a foot of snow this morning up here in Summit County and just when we thought the golf courses were going to open weeks early, this snow is going to set us back. I was looking on google for some Denver are courses and honestly, I have no idea where to start.

I browsed the City of Denver courses and they don't look too bad. Then again, that's just with pictures. Plus the rates are pretty cheap.

A possible trip up on Monday is in the forecast and I would just like some tips on what courses to check out for some early season swings. We're not new to the game, but probably shooting around mid 90's. We'd like to keep our fees and cart under $50-ish if possible. Thanks!

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

All city tracks are cheap, but no frills. Do you want Denver specific or in the area?

For the city, City Park is fine. Kennedy too. Park Hill and Overland do nothing for me.

Outside of the city ...

Common Ground in Aurora was totally redone and is a fantastic track at a good price. I highly recommend it.
    Fossil Trace in Golden is quirky and different.
    Eagle Trace in Broomfield.
    Fox Hollow in Lakewood is good.
    Broken Tee in Englewood It's been redone and is a good course.
    Riverdale Dunes/Knolls (36 holes) up in Brighton is fun.

No snow sticking the city today, but with the 3 inches of rain we got last week then the warm up, everything is super green and in great shape.

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

MileHigh, thanks for the info. Broken Tee looks kind of fun. Not a big fan of a the six of seven day advance for tee times, but I'm sure it can get worked out.

Wasn't looking just in the metro area, anything really of a 1-1.5 hour drive of Breckenridge. All of our courses are under snow and I'm a member at Copper, but that place won't be opening till late May it seems now.

4. MileHigh

Broken Tee is good. And if you're playing on Monday, you'll be good. Last year they redid the driving range and it's huge, and they redid the front nine. It's really like playing two different courses because the back nine stayed the same.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Broken Tee may be one of the greatest golf course names I've ever seen.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm partial to "Sarah Shank" here in Indy.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Drive a little further down to Co. Spgs; Pine Creek off the North Exit to the AFA is an unbelievable course. If you can get on to the AFA Courses, either of the Eisenhower Courses (Blue or Silver--Blue is a little tougher, little longer) are worth it.

Or;

Drive a touch further to Pueblo and play Walking Stick; very challenging course;

Or;

Drive a touch further south and west to LaVeta and play Grandote Peaks; Very pretty, very scenic, very fun.

I've played all of these, (Walking Stick several times)

Also, (never played it, but Southfork Ranch is supposedly unreal......the pro here at our course is the old Assistant Pro out there.)

8. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Member

If you play at City Park, you might get paired up with JR Smith. He plays daily and just joins groups.

9. MileHigh

Or go to the west to Redlands Mesa in Grand Junction.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Bit far for a round of golf, no? :)

But a very nice course, from what I'm told.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The last time I went to Denver I played at Inverness and Castle Pines. I think Inverness is private, but a buddy was a member. To get on at Castle Pines, the same friend had to get one of his dad's friends to play with us.

Both courses are amazing.

We tried desperately to get on at Cherry Hills, but had no luck.

12. MileHigh

All three are private. Never been to Inverness. But Castle Pines and Cherry Hills are amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted