1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denver SID offices - Are you kidding me?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Chris17, May 7, 2013.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am going to volunteer to be an unpaid journalism professor.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Citizen professors!!

3. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

No football. I'm staying home.

4. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Several years back I applied for a (paid) assistant SID position at this school. I had qualifications, got an interview, etc. I lost the job to a fresh college grad who had no journalism or media relations experience, but had been a cheerleader at a BCS school.

My takeaway at the time was clearly qualifications didn't matter at DU. That's why it surprises me to see they want a laundry list of qualifications for unpaid positions. Either they learned lessons about hiring unqualified, or they've had admin turnover.

5. sportbook

sportbook Member

In the mid-1990s I volunteered at an SID office for a school that was then in the WAC. It was unpaid and there was no job posting. I worked at a local printing plant in the morning (I got paid there) and then went to the school for the afternoon and evenings. I think may have even been required to take two grad courses per semester at my expense.

After college graduation I sent out about 50-60 resumes to what would now be BCS schools. The WAC school that told me to come out if I want was one of only four that took me up on my offer to volunteer. It was the first one that I received back in the mail and I thought I'd be able to work wherever I wanted. However, I got dinged by all but the WAC school, Cal-Berkeley (I knew I couldn't afford to live there), and two other schools, which I can't remember. Emory was "nice" enough to send my resume back to me corrected (all stylistic preference rather than errors).

I then went on and did two paid internships, one with a BCS school and one with an NFL team, before getting hired as a PR assistant for an NFL team. I simply didn't have the experience coming out of college and this unpaid internship was great. Without it I would have never gotten a job in the profession.

6. Sorry, but you can get paid internships or work-study positions while in school. Just depends on the school one attends.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If I did, then I'd be getting UD sports lots of media attention, but not getting paid for my effort. Cue Alanis Morissette.

Draft saved Draft deleted