1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denver Post writer goes postal on ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beefncheddar, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Didn't the Post just make a bunch of cuts? Perhaps this guy was one of them and had nothing to lose ... if not he's probably made the layoff process much easier.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I can appreciate the rant, but what how does your average "gullible sports fan" react?

3. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Your average gullible sports fan who picks up two tons of garbage cans a day or performs several life-saving surgeries will think it's just another stuffy, pompous-assed journalist complaining about how lousy his easy job is. I have no love for the Eastern Spelling Poker Network, on the other hand, he picked on some of the wrong people. A rant like this drunken dude's does nothing except further lower the public perception of the profession below that of used-car dudes.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll give Dater the benefit of the doubt since beat writers are very rarely anywhere close to sane in the first couple weeks after their seasons end...

But that was really embarrassing...

5. txscoop

txscoop Member

I agree with this guy to a point. ESPN likes to steal stories from the likes of many columnists like Rick Reilly and turn them into a Sunday Sportcenter feature. Then ESPN gets an EMMY for it.

6. Don't totally disagree, but how about a few examples?

7. txscoop

txscoop Member

Easy-- Katrina basketball team column, the column about the small college that "picks up Butch."
    My guess is they will copy TJ Simers' column he wrote earlier in the week.

8. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Don't forget the story about the autistic kid who knocked down 20 points in four minutes for his high school basketball team. It was a great story, but God did they beat it to death, and well after the fact. The AP, among others, ran that story a good two or three weeks before the four letter sunk their claws into it.

Then they parade the kid around at their awards show with Lance Armstrong and basically stamped 'ESPN' on his friggin forehead.

9. silent_h

silent_h Member

A number of people have suggested that this may be a case of drinking and blogging, but I think it may be a case of blogging without drinking enough.

Take your work seriously; yourself, not so much. Makes hanging by Posada's locker asking the big important questions of existence a little more bearable. Also, there's more than a little irony in bashing someone like Bill Simmons for being tired with what amounts to a list of tired rips on Simmons, folded into a series of tired complaints about the excesses of ESPN. If this D. Post blogger thinks he's Diogenes here, or that he's somehow escaped the cave and discovered the secret of Soylent Green while the rest of us are staring at flickering shadows on the wall and gulping down people-paste -- and that's what he sounds like -- well, I actually feel sort of sorry for him. I've heard every one of these gripes before, repeatedly, from people who work at ESPN. And like most gripes of this nature, they're all true to varying degrees, depending on your perspective. Is it really worth getting apoplectic over?

Also, I genuinely thought txscoop was being subtle and sarcastic with the "ESPN steals from the likes of Rick Reilly" bit ... wasn't that a topic of board discussion somewhat recently? Didn't Reilly make a similar claim, then smash his head between a pot and a kettle?

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Is it worth getting apoplectic over...it would be if you were that writer's boss. That was a scorched-earth blog.

Do any papers cycle blog entries through copy editors or does that somehow take away the spontaneous nature and the (wheee) fun? I'm guessing some kind of policy just went into place in Denver.

11. silent_h

silent_h Member

I meant: is it worth the blog's writer getting apoplectic over all this stuff?

Can definitely see your point about the boss getting a bit sweaty.

12. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Wish I could read the rest of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted