1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denver Post - WOW! what a great read

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Blitz, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Was on a 2 1/2-hour layover in Denver this weekend and picked up the Sunday Denver Post.
    What a well-done paper.
    Nice layout, interesting locally-generated copy plus provoking and thoughtful wire stories.

Locally, there was a Mastadon find at the end of the summer by two teens playing in a creek.
    Medicinal pot growers are considering starting a union or growers' consortium.
    Colorado Republicans are concentrating less on gay marriage and other penny-ante issues, instead opting to look at energy and economy concerns.
    A movie is reviewed about supposed hate crime 10 years ago, when a student was beaten and died at U. of Wyoming.

All of these stories were good reads, plus the Air Force Academy football (5-column missed FG art) led-off a well-tuned sports section.
    Tons of local, regional and national sports with great agate and compartmentalization.

The paper had solid perspective and business pages, and was easy to work thru compared to too-fat Sunday editions in other cities that I've seen.
    This was my first time to read the Post.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I just wonder what people in Denver think of the paper and whether the paper has improved since the Rocky closed.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I'll always be a diehard Rocky fan, but I will admit... the Post could have taken the easy way out, but it didn't. It's actually gotten better as a paper since Rocky closed.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

All true.

I have a few friends who work there and with each person from the RMN who they hired, they figure that will be a current staffer who will be let go at some point.

The Post is one of the few papers that has not had layoffs. They had one for managers, but not for union people, which counts for the majority of the writers and deskers.

I think it's safe to say most of the people working there are bracing themselves for the inevitable, which most believe will take place in the next few months. They're already had at least one round of furloughs.

Draft saved Draft deleted