1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denver Post to cut possibly two-thirds of copy editors

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NatureBoy, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Yet another suit who thinks all copy editors do is run spellcheck on a story. I'm sick of this bullshit. I hope the Post ends up with a huge mistake in print that costs the paper big bucks in a lawsuit and loss of advertising. Maybe then they'll learn.

2. To play Devil's advocate,

Would you say that for online, or just for print?

And given that print will no longer be a part of business model in 5, 10, 15 years, why should it be held to a different standard than online?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It needs to be for both.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Nothing but nothing tarnishes information as a product more than inaccuracy. This is suicide. Letting reporters write their own headlines? I was a reporter and columnist for over 25 years, and I never knew how to make a headline fit. Bet I'm not alone there, either.
    All writers need editors. William Faulkner had a goddamn editor. A newspaper would do better firing its advertising sales staff (like they're doing much these days) than its copy editors.

5. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

Amen. I can't tell you how many times in my old shop that a reporter would post something to the web that included a head-smacker of a spelling or grammatical error. Sure, it's fixed as soon as you find it, but that few minutes is enough for a handful of readers to post about how stupid we looked.

I caught some whoppers when I worked on the copy desk, and the deskers caught some that slipped by me when I didn't work there. I also had section editors who, while they were working on their own stories, were the first reads for other writers and just skimmed over them. If this is the formula the Post is moving toward, it's not going to work.

6. MileHigh

Guessing this hasn't been circulated there:

http://www.copydesk.org/programs/why-editing-matters/

7. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

I'm guessing this will alter the landscape for their ASE's too. They will have to assume an even larger responsibility for the accuracy/cleanliness of the copy. Maybe to the point that some day jobs shift to night?

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Newspapers are gradually devolving to the business model of "if you see something, write about it and take a picture and we'll post it." Should do wonders for the business section.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The words of a former co-worker describing our management come to mind. "We aren't Ford. Quality isn't job one."

10. MileHigh

"Copy editors are cheaper than lawyers." -– Anonymous

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

True. Editing your own copy is really, really hard. The brain just thinks it sees something different than what a fresh pair of eyes do.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Further evidence that this entire industry has gone to shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted