1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denver Post to cut possibly two-thirds of copy editors

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NatureBoy, Apr 26, 2012.

1. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Crap ... I know someone there (not in sports, though) ... how many high schools does the Post cover? Can't see one guy doing that unless they're really increasing their freelancer budget ...

2. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Technically the whole state, but they hardly put anything in print any more. Maybe just a couple of games on the weekends, the occasional feature and some agate. Still cover state events pretty well but use other staffers to do it. Very few stringers these days. Maybe they'll increase those again with this move but I sort of doubt it. They do put a good deal of stuff online along with blogs. Even so, it's going to be tough for one guy.

3. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

They cut out freelancers covering preps about a years or so ago. A number of those freelancers had been brought on board as "part-timers," as they were being paid by the hour when they worked in the office and by the story when they were out and about. But then they just went with regular staffers to cover events, especially state championships.

As for the two let go, one I know was out-and-out released after 22 years. That would be Jon Yunt. The other -- Ryan Casey -- may have already had a new gig lined up before the decision was made and they are not replacing him as far as I know. Casey is going to work for CHSAA, the local high school activities association. So, yes, that leaves them with one prep guy.

This leaves Neil Devlin, who has been there for more than 30 years, to cover preps. That is going to be an impossible task. Preps may be a thing of the past in the Post sooner rather than later.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

High schools have a pretty decent following and to have juts one person do it -- yeah, impossible. Good to hear Ryan has already found something. Not so good to hear Jon is no longer there.

And according to the statement from the Guild, part-timers aren't covered by layoff provisions in the contract, so he's cut with no severance. There were also cuts made in circulation (two secretaries, on the heels of three district managers and three assistant district managers last month) and IT, plus an assistant librarian.

5. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

Yeah, that's what I dislike. He gets cut without a severance package.

Also heard about the other cuts. Sorry to see it going down like that.

6. As a sports editor at a Podunk, I'm never edited but wish I were. My copy is typically pretty decent, but having a fresh set of eyes on the product that doesn't know the information as well as you do is going to make it better. It can be especially tough when you are writing 3-4 stories a night, when the chance of mistakes go up.

7. RecentAZgrad

RecentAZgrad Active Member

Feel like I should weigh in here with what little I know. (I'm Ryan Casey.)

Can't believe they cut Jon, and I especially can't believe he did not get severance. Really a great guy, and I hope he lands on his feet. Actually, I know he will. That guy loves high school sports. So far as I know, it wasn't a decision made by the sports editor. It was above him. And, honestly, them letting him go only reinforced the decision I'd made to leave.

I told them three weeks ago that I was leaving, and last I heard they will be replacing my position. So Neil will at least have some help. But, yes, it will be very tough going forward and I got the sense that their strategy toward prep sports will change. (That was actually a reason CHSAA hired me. They sensed the changing winds.)

I will say that it was tough covering 344 high schools with only three people most of the time. Obviously, only having two people will make things even more difficult. I do not believe they're going to bring stringers back.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I don't believe what I just saw.

Go crazy, folks. Go crazy.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Slightly off thread but daily circulation at the Denver Post was reported at 214,000 in March, 2013. The November, 2008 numbers, the last report before the News closed, was 210,000. So the Post has basically lost all the incremental gain in circ from the News closing.

Since that time the circulation rules have been changed so that any newspapers sold for less than 25% of the normal subscription price count are included in the circulation number. So if any publisher dumps newspapers at a hotel for a penny a copy in can now include this as daily circ.

I am typing this from a mid priced Denver hotel room. There is a large stack of complimentary Denver posts stacked up in the lobby. Which I am sure now count as part of the base. So who knows what the real apples to apples count is.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So haue they punted preps to the surrounding weeklies and bi-weeklies?

11. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Most of you guys know I'm up the interstate in Fort Collins. I can say Ryan was the best source for preps coverage in the state. I was on preps last fall before switching over to the CSU beat and I'd always have his live scoreboard/chat running in the press box on Friday nights to know what was going on across the state.

Really bummed to hear about the change, but his loss will definitely be CHSAA's gain. I know from talking to CHSAA officials at the state baseball tournaments that they're hoping to do a lot more live game coverage online next year, and I'm sure Ryan will really help spearhead that movement.

As for Jon, I'm sure he'll land on his feet. He lives in Northern Colorado, so hopefully there will be a gig closer to home for him opening up soon. We hired a preps writer from the Greeley Tribune earlier this year and I'm not sure if Greeley ever filled the spot. Loveland has some changes going on in its sports department, but I believe the open spot was filled. Jon is a good dude. Hope it works out for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted