1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denver Post tells writers to stop making picks in games they cover

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Nov 2, 2009.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Jared,

I'm looking for a sturdy saddle to use when I ride my high horse. Where did you find yours?

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I heard a rumor that the ME of the BFE Times crashed his Spree and went head-over-heels over the handlebars after he hit an unsighted chain that he ran into that was across a parking lot driveway.

Come to think of it, Nelson Mundt comes to mind as I typed that.

3. jaredk

jaredk Member

To think that a newspaper shouldn't promote sports gambling is to ride a high horse? Come to think of it, I'm not sure any mainstream newspaper does a stocks-picking column, and that's a legal form of gambling.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Didn't newspapers used to run columns on the biz page about stock tips? I'm pretty sure one of my old papers used to -- maybe still does -- run the Motley Fool stock tips column once a week.

5. jaredk

jaredk Member

Clearly, I don't read many business sections...this from Motley Fool's home page...

"Newspaper column: Through a successful decade-long partnership with Universal Press Syndicate, some 200 publications across North America carry The Motley Fool's weekly newspaper column."

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There you go.

I think you're being a little too uptight about this whole gambling in newspapers thing. Just about everything in the sports section benefits gamblers, whether you run the lines or the injury reports or even the scores from last night's games.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. jaredk

jaredk Member

What it comes down to too often is, newspapers are OK with promoting gambling as long as they can pretend they're not promoting gambling. At least we haven't seen any ledes (yet) that say, "Podunk High stretched its winning streak to six games last night but its failure to cover for the sixth straight week has put Coach Parlay's future in doubt."

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Well, that's probably because teams only care about wins and losses on the scoreboard, not against the spread.

9. jaredk

jaredk Member

You miss the point. Point was, if papers really were OK with gambling, they'd write such ledes. But they know they can't go that far because gambling is illegal.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Why would they go that far?

I'm sure newspapers are okay with lots of things they don't spell out in their ledes.

Newspapers run betting lines in their agate. There can be no stronger indication that they are okay with sports gambling.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So the answer is to take out the betting lines, the picks, the entries/results from the local horse track? Give readers even less than what they're already getting?

12. jaredk

jaredk Member

OK, I'll go away. But with one more thought. Sure, keep the entries and results if you're among the few papers that can afford to waste the space on information available for free other places. Then leave out the stuff that's there to help folks gambling illegally. You could replace it with reporting and writing.

Draft saved Draft deleted